Today I went past this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

3936269.jpg

Anderton Boat Lift

One of the more enlightening things in Northwich ! :tongue: - the place is quite nice actually, quite quaint.

Lovely liittle market street in it too.

Ended up doing 90kms.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've been that way on a club run, we have a walk we take the family on that loops around there, and my daughter plays her matches for macc town fc ladies just around the corner.

i've been tempted to take the trip where you go up/down in a canal boat, but it won't be half as good as this.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The boat lift is grand - we were going to settle over that way at one time.

Anderton Country park is a nice spot too, although siting the picnic tables facing the huge chemical plant was an odd decision.

Mr Pig

I wonder if the Falkirk Wheel will still be working in one-hundred and seventy years? In some ways the Anderton lift is more interesting as it was built in the days when the canals were in full use and was simply a means to an end. The Falkirk Wheel was built as a show-piece. Initial designs included a glass central tube that visitors could walk through but that wasn't feasible. Still a beautiful structure though.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Anderton boat lift has hardly remained in it's original state for 175 years. It's been adapted many times to work in a variety of different ways and is now only in existance as the result of a massive restoration effort.

You're suffering from Freddibnahitiss: The heralding of someone who can revit two bits of iron together as 'the last of our engineering heritage' whilst being completely blind to the people who can build the Eurofighter.

There's absolutely no reason to think the Falkirk wheel is comparable in every way to the Anderton boat lift.

Mr Pig

Not at all. I think the Falkirk Wheel is brilliant. I'd encourage anyone who gets the chance to visit it, you won't be disappointed. I enjoy clever design or any age.

I still have a soft spot for timber and iron though, it has a warmth that is lost in concrete and glass. I've been on a few modern roller coasters but still think wooden ones are the nicest.

dodgy

yenrod said:
3936269.jpg

Anderton Boat Lift

One of the more enlightening things in Northwich ! :eek: - the place is quite nice actually, quite quaint.

Lovely liittle market street in it too.

Ended up doing 90kms.

Thanks for the inspiration Yenrod, just cobbled together a route to take me there next weekend. I quite often head over to Delamere and it isn't much further to take in Anderton boat lift, so that's what I'm going to do :ohmy:

Dave.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

dodgy said:
Thanks for the inspiration Yenrod, just cobbled together a route to take me there next weekend. I quite often head over to Delamere and it isn't much further to take in Anderton boat lift, so that's what I'm going to do :smile:
Dave.

If I go around the Wirral its 50ml'er for me.

Most of the time i'll just go and see which way I 'go' most of the time though - its East or North or NE or if I want to risk my ass, into or though Liverpool.

Something I don't do out of ideal choice.

Top Bottom