Todays close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I was the recipient of a close pass from this motorist today. The road in front and behind was empty, so no excuse to wait 10 secs until I had passed the junction. Trying to intimidate me or just an idiot ?
N:B You can see the tip of my front tyre to gauge how close this car came.
Todays close pass

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
An idiot

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The junction is wide enough to just stay in the middle for a few seconds if you really have to pull out.
Sadly, once the driver can't see you, you cease to exist on their radar.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I could see what was going to happen. I would have eased off a bit and the problem would have been gone.

I'll invite you next time so you can keep me appraised :laugh:

I never expected the driver to 'keep coming' until he/she was totally in my space.

Last edited:
Driver was totally at fault
I have no idea why he/she insisted on coming right over when it would have been easier to just stay further away from the kerb for few seconds and pull away
either an idiot or deliberate
cyclist not at fault and - personally - although I would hopefully have seen him/her coming I wouldn;t have predicted that level of stupidity

ANyway - more controversially - I had a close pass today

passing distance probably less than 6 inches:eek:

the other person was a cyclist - road type bike - older(ish) rider wearing lycra type kit - sensible visible colours

but when he overtook me he was DAMN close - and there was no cars or anything behind me

no bell, or shout, or anything - just proceed past and move out just sufficient to not hit me

Personally I think all bikes should have a bell and sound it when passing another cyclist
:eek:
and no - shouting doesn't work - I never know what the hell they have said and whether it is a cyclist or something else - a bell is clearly a cycist

or is that just me

alex_cycles

Veteran
ANyway - more controversially - I had a close pass today

passing distance probably less than 6 inches:eek:

the other person was a cyclist - road type bike - older(ish) rider wearing lycra type kit - sensible visible colours

but when he overtook me he was DAMN close - and there was no cars or anything behind me

no bell, or shout, or anything - just proceed past and move out just sufficient to not hit me

Personally I think all bikes should have a bell and sound it when passing another cyclist
:eek:
and no - shouting doesn't work - I never know what the hell they have said and whether it is a cyclist or something else - a bell is clearly a cycist

or is that just me

This is actually a problem. The way I see it is that if drivers see us passing each other closely, they'll assume it's OK. I DO have a bell but don't use it for other riders. I'll call out "coming up on your right" (in good time) and then give them the full lane's width of space. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do that. Stupid. IMHO.

Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
I'll invite you next time so you can keep me appraised :laugh:

I never expected the driver to 'keep coming' until he/she was totally in my space.
Unfortunately these types of threads accompanied by that type of clip normally attracts at least a few comments of what you did wrong and what they would have done to mitigate the situation despite a blind man being able to see the driver is 100% to blame. I don't really understand why but I'm sure there is a name for it.

Top Bottom