Todays close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Unfortunately these types of threads accompanied by that type of clip normally attracts at least a few comments of what you did wrong and what they would have done to mitigate the situation despite a blind man being able to see the driver is 100% to blame. I don't really understand why but I'm sure there is a name for it.
You are totally wrong. It was obvious the driver was in the wrong. I just commented that easing off the speed a bit clears the problem . Its a valid enough comment I think.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You are totally wrong. It was obvious the driver was in the wrong. I just commented that easing off the speed a bit clears the problem . Its a valid enough comment I think.
Yep, I'm 100% with you. The driver was completely in the wrong, a slight dab of the brakes by the cyclist and there's no incident.

It's defensive walking, cycling, driving - spot a potential problem and take action to avoid it. Nothing to see here.

This is actually a problem. The way I see it is that if drivers see us passing each other closely, they'll assume it's OK. I DO have a bell but don't use it for other riders. I'll call out "coming up on your right" (in good time) and then give them the full lane's width of space. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do that. Stupid. IMHO.
From my point of view teh problem is that Humans (which is most of us - one or two I am not sure of:rolleyes:) when a strange voice is heard, especially unexpectedly, we do not properly heard the first few words
I learned this when I saw a video about answering the phone - the 'trainer' said that the best way to ring someone was to start with something like
"Good Morning (pause) this is xxx from yyy "
i.e. 4 words and a pause before actually delivering any information you want the recipient to know
and that is a phone call where the other person has picked up the call so is expecting a conversation

so - a cyclist bimbling along suddenly hearing "coming up on your right" is lucky if they tune in by the last word
and the information they have is basically
a) a human voice has been heard
b) it came from behind
c) it might possibly have end in "right" - I have actually had people say "on your right" and people say "move right" and people say " don;t move right" - doesn;t really work

soooo
I have a fraction of a second to react if at all - to a person - in an unknown place behind me - and avoid a collision
it could be a pedestrian that I didn;t notice
or a person in a car
or a cyclist

dunno

but a bell - now that has an expectation of it being a cyclist - hence I can make several assumptions - like they are probably going to pass me - and they are aware of how a cyclist works and will not be a danger
and - hopefully, but not today - they will pass at a reasonable distance

which is why I have a bell - people relate a bell to an approaching bike

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You’re completely wrong, it’s a dangerous driving manoeuvre and it was the cyclists right of way.
I am not saying it was not, on the contrary if you read my comments. But I never have the mind set that it is my "Right of way". It is a pointless thought when you are laying under a lorry because it was your right of way, so you took it. I ride defensively and most of the time it works. I thought it was pretty obvious there was a good chance the car would keep coming. I would not have pushed on just because it was my right of way. Others may have.

Tribansman

Veteran
I am not saying it was not, on the contrary if you read my comments. But I never have the mind set that it is my "Right of way". It is a pointless thought when you are laying under a lorry because it was your right of way, so you took it. I ride defensively and most of the time it works. I thought it was pretty obvious there was a good chance the car would keep coming. I would not have pushed on just because it was my right of way. Others may have.
Totally agree with this approach. If I didn't cycle defensively on my commutes I'd've been wiped out countless times. Off course I shouldn't have to, but I don't see crap driving or selfish/oblivious tw*ts changing any time soon.

I don't see it as victim blaming to point this out, just being pragmatic and valuing self-preservation!

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran

You make sensible comments that I agree with, however in this instance you are of course being wise in hindsight. Let me add a little context and attempt to 'take you there' :rolleyes: I am 75 in early january ! I took onboard some years ago that if I 'go down' nowadays, I don't bounce, I break.
Believe me, I ride defensively. My front and rear cameras are for 'after the event' I believe that motorists who make decisions that endanger cyclists should be 'educated'
In this instance my rear camera (complete with 'PassPixi) never recorded this driver because they were always in front of me.
i-KkDQgdM-S.jpg

I also have a Garmin Varia Radar rear light. I hope I am 'building' you a picture here that I am not some 'charging' cyclist travelling everywhere
at light speed. ^_^ Did you have the impression that I was playing 'macho man' with this driver ? You said " I would not have pushed on " etc
I didn't stop but I did stop pedalling when I realised what was happening and what little speed I had diminished.
As I question in my opening post, was this driver trying to intimidate me ? I know that road, it leads into the village where I live. From the drivers position he would have clear vision for 500 mtrs + to his right in his direction of travel. I have video footage (you have seen a brief edited clip) the road ahead was completely clear. The road behind (footage from my rear camera) was completely clear. In this instance I have no problem with the driver pulling out, just leave me space and accelerate away. The driver was certainly not in a hurry, speed was not an issue, maybe the driver had 'downed a few' and aware of his state was over compensating ? who knows.
I talk to much, but I hope I have corrected the impression you gave that I, to some extent brought this on myself ?

alex_cycles

Veteran
From my point of view teh problem is that Humans (which is most of us - one or two I am not sure of:rolleyes:) when a strange voice is heard, especially unexpectedly, we do not properly heard the first few words
I learned this when I saw a video about answering the phone - the 'trainer' said that the best way to ring someone was to start with something like
"Good Morning (pause) this is xxx from yyy "
i.e. 4 words and a pause before actually delivering any information you want the recipient to know
and that is a phone call where the other person has picked up the call so is expecting a conversation

so - a cyclist bimbling along suddenly hearing "coming up on your right" is lucky if they tune in by the last word
and the information they have is basically
a) a human voice has been heard
b) it came from behind
c) it might possibly have end in "right" - I have actually had people say "on your right" and people say "move right" and people say " don;t move right" - doesn;t really work

soooo
I have a fraction of a second to react if at all - to a person - in an unknown place behind me - and avoid a collision
it could be a pedestrian that I didn;t notice
or a person in a car
or a cyclist

dunno

but a bell - now that has an expectation of it being a cyclist - hence I can make several assumptions - like they are probably going to pass me - and they are aware of how a cyclist works and will not be a danger
and - hopefully, but not today - they will pass at a reasonable distance

which is why I have a bell - people relate a bell to an approaching bike

So you may have missed the part where I also give them the full lane's width (Or more, if it's safe to do so). I don't really need them to react. I don't really WANT them to react (turning their heads right usually makes people wobble or drift to the right). I just want them to be aware that SOMEONE is coming as a courtesy/safety measure. The problem with the idiot passing 6" away is that they are leaving ZERO margin for something to go wrong (and showing drivers that it's "OK" to do so). Even an unscheduled wobble can make you move more than that.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Scaleyback there are two other videos one can see in your link. Presumably you're badlywornroy. In the link you posted re this incident "what little speed I had diminished" isn't born out by the video.

In all three you appear to be riding at a pace any 74 year old would be proud of. Excellent.

From what I see the driver pulled out badly, error or deliberate action? I think the driver stopped, saw you, underestimated your speed and pulled out when he should have waited.

Dabbing the brakes is all that was needed.

Mike_P

Guru
Agree with the above, seems to me many motorists have problems judging cyclists speeds although usually on the basis they seem to think I am going faster than I am and I often wave them out in front of me.

Top Bottom