Todmorden Loops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Just noticed this cropping up soon.

Just stole this text from a similar post and amended the detail
wink.gif
:

Is anyone else signed up for the 'Todmorden Loops'' on 13th Mar? I know it starts in ColinJ's stamping ground.

Fiona N

Veteran
Nah - I'm hoping to do the Boroughbridge 200 that Sunday - a lot flatter :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a guess what the 3 loops might be, and I was pretty much right. The thing is, the organiser might well have a problem! One of the loops goes out over Widdop road which is shortly going to be subject to a road closure for new water mains to be laid.

Ok - I've just checked. Pedestrian access will be provided past the works, so bikes can at least be walked through.

It's a pretty tough little collection of hilly roads is that! It is the kind of thing I'd do if I was fit, but I'm not going to be fit enough to enjoy the event in just two weeks time! If you fancy a hilly challenge in this area though, I'd say that is a good one.

There are some long steady climbs and some short steep ones and everything in between too. There are even one or two that I haven't taken forum rides over yet! There is one short steep climb at the back of Tod railway station that I've never ridden, everything else I have at one time or another, most of it many times.

Another thing - the event's AUK page reckons it is a 100km event. The gpx route file makes it 112 km which is a bit of a difference!

Svendo

Guru
I can't do this one, I'm working. Seems to be a theme so far this year. Either weather or work have kept me from events and forum rides. But the road closure starts today so I think as a route planning service to us all ColinJ should check passability for bikes.;)

Actually I've two days off and plan to go riding on both of them so I guess I should go and have a look. Have to say from the notice on Calderdale council's website I'm none the wiser as to where the closure actually is, not knowing where edge hay ropad is or widdop quarry for that matter.

ColinJ

I can't do this one, I'm working. Seems to be a theme so far this year. Either weather or work have kept me from events and forum rides. But the road closure starts today so I think as a route planning service to us all ColinJ should check passability for bikes.;)

Actually I've two days off and plan to go riding on both of them so I guess I should go and have a look. Have to say from the notice on Calderdale council's website I'm none the wiser as to where the closure actually is, not knowing where edge hay ropad is or widdop quarry for that matter.
I think I will ride up there if the weather is okay one day this week. Shaun said that he might be doing a ride with PaulB. If so, I might join them and go and check it out.

There was a big fuss about the road closure on the front page of the Hebden Bridge Times last week. How parents will have to do a 20 mile detour to drive their kids to school in Colden, and the same to pick them up in the afternoon. The water company is making a £350 payment to each family affected by the closure. I think the families could walk their children past the works and use the money to pay for a minibus or taxi to ferry them to and from the school. It's only a couple of miles

The closure is at the Heptonstall end of Widdop Road. I think the water company are cutting off the water supply from Gorple Reservoir to Widdop Road, and establishing a new pipeline from Heptonstall.

Svendo

Guru
Been up there today, the closure at the moment is from the Heptostall end to the Gisburn Mill car park ( couple of miles if that) I got through on the bike no trouble, just slowing where large parked vehicles were blocking most of the road. The section they were actually working on has a narrow (30 cms) trench for the pipe so there room to get past.

ColinJ

Been up there today, the closure at the moment is from the Heptostall end to the Gisburn Mill car park ( couple of miles if that) I got through on the bike no trouble, just slowing where large parked vehicles were blocking most of the road. The section they were actually working on has a narrow (30 cms) trench for the pipe so there room to get past.
Saves me bothering! :thumbsup:

That'd be the National Trust car park on Widdop Road above Gibson Mill.

ColinJ

I've entered! It's nearly full so is anyone else going to be there?
I definitely w... ...on't be! I'm too big and unfit for that selection of hills at the moment, but I hope you have a good time.

We rode back along Widdop Road on Sunday and it seems that they are only working on the road works during normal working hours. They'd filled in the trench down the centre of the road and the heavy plant was parked in the National Trust car park mentioned by Svendo above.

Top Bottom