Toe-clips and gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Who was the last person to win the tour wearing toe-clips, and who was the last with down-tube shifters ? This is not a trick question, I am actually interested to find out :biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
If my memory isn't fading i think Lance used a Downtube shifter on the alp duez TT the other year. Does that count? :tongue:

Bigtwin

Steve Austin said:
If my memory isn't fading i think Lance used a Downtube shifter on the alp duez TT the other year. Does that count? :tongue:

Not just the TT, he used a DTB front shifter for several, if not all, of the mountain stages.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
If my memory isn't fading i think Lance used a Downtube shifter on the alp duez TT the other year. Does that count? :angry:

I was thinking more of continual use throughout the tour.. but thanks :smile:

Bigtwin

STI came in for road bikes in 1990 (Campy Ergo = 1992). So guess that the pros had it a year before perhaps, that would make 1988 the last downtube year?

Just a reasoned SAWG.

gary r

Guru
Sean Kelly was one of the last Pro's in the peloton to still use clips/straps.not sure who the last winner was to use them,Hinault 1985?? I know Hinault & LeMond were on Look pedals in 86.when LeMond won the tour (the battle with Fignon) on a Bottecchia im sure that he used downtube levers

Jonathan M

cisamcgu said:
Who was the last person to win the tour wearing toe-clips, and who was the last with down-tube shifters ? This is not a trick question, I am actually interested to find out :troll:

Why not try Yenrods suggestion and e-mail this to Eurosport and try and get a plug for the forum at the sametime?

And LA used a downtube front shifter on his mountain stage bike certainly in his last win, and Kelly was renowned for being one of the last men in the pro-peloton to use toe-clips.

Top Bottom