Tomcat Trikes

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by DaveReading, 20 Feb 2017.

Tags:
  1. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Anyone had any experience of these, for kids with mobility issues ?

Grandson has just got one, and I'm struggling to work out how that add-on thing that sticks out the back is used to help with the rider's steering.

2. What seems to be the prouble?

3. Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
    classic33 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

5. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
  6. Shaun

Shaun Founder Moderator

Jason and raleighnut like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Excellent!

I hadn't spotted that one - it appears to operate the brake as well as allowing the carer to steer. Thank you.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Moderator

That really does look like a platform for the carer to stand on would be doable.
    I can't imagine that being AT ALL dangerous! :biggrin:

9. OP
    OP
    DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Update: first chance at the weekend to see grandson in action on the trike.

Given that he doesn't talk and can't walk unaided, he's taken to pedalling like a duck to water. He's sussed the bell out too, though not the concept of steering yet.

The thing that sticks out the back takes a little getting used to as it works in the opposite sense to, say, a boat's tiller. So if you want to steer left, you push the end sideways in an anti-clockwise direction, which seems to me a little counter-intuitive.

Next step is to find a nice big empty car park, remove the steering accessory and just let him experiment with the effect of moving the handlebars.

10. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Give it a week or so and hopefully he will have you jogging behind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice