Tomorrow's climbs..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lots of climbs in the tdf tomorrow,

so heres a question I dont know the answer to:

What sort of speeds to the pros manage up various category climbs?

Interesting to compare to the attempts of the mere mortal.

I discovered a climb near my home which (according to an article I read) would be (barely) a cat 4.. and its hard enough work just to get up the thing...

I don't know for sure but I imagine that the answer would depress you. Best not to ask really....xx(

OP
OP
S

SimonRoberts0204

depress or inspire, depending on my mood!

I ask as its really difficult to gauge speed from the cameras moving along with them.

I heard a quote last year on one of the hilliest stages that they were averaging 25mph :ohmy: I can't even do that on the flat over such a long distance.
Now if I had a bike that cost £10K and trained every day, I could do that (if the bike was a Suzuki Bandit or something xx()

CotterPin

I was on holiday in the Pyrenees a couple of weeks staying at the foot of the climb to the Plateau de Beille. It took me over an hour and a half to do the 16km to the top. The likes of Contador, Armstrong and Pantani managed it in less than half the time. Wikipedia details here.

But as I reassured myself, they do or did it for a living and (ahem), for at least one of those named above, on something more than the coffee I did it on (allegedly).

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
CotterPin said:
I was on holiday in the Pyrenees a couple of weeks staying at the foot of the climb to the Plateau de Beille. It took me over an hour and a half to do the 16km to the top. The likes of Contador, Armstrong and Pantani managed it in less than half the time. Wikipedia details here.

But as I reassured myself, they do or did it for a living and (ahem), for at least one of those named above, on something more than the coffee I did it on (allegedly).

You've been drinking COFFEE!!!!!

xx(

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
xx( was you watching me chuffy?

Skip Madness

CotterPin said:
I wouldn't be too down about that - there are few Tour climbs to match Plateau de Beille for toughness.

Ben M

I too wonder this. perhaps Eurosport could add a speedo to their computer technology for next year? It wouldn't exactly be hard to just tell us what speed the motorcycle/car, with the camera, which is with the riders, is travelling at.

When I watch them on climbs I think "they seem to be going really rather quickly" I'd love to know exactly how quickly.

stumpy

I read somewhere that LA's record up Ventoux is 58 mins.........I'm going there in Aug so I'll let you know how much I beat him by an what speed I go.......xx(

stumpy said:
I read somewhere that LA's record up Ventoux is 58 mins.........I'm going there in Aug so I'll let you know how much I beat him by an what speed I go.......xx(
...and the name of your chemist highly respected personal trainer.
Of course.

mr-marty-martin

yeah they should show us the speed, and should also from time to time ( like when there's an attack ) bring up the riders hr's

as i no the commentators get some riders hr's...

Top Bottom