Tomorrows the big day!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After months of deciding and waiting, im finally going to collect my new Specialized Allez Sport from the shop tomorrow!

I cant wait, im gonna get it home and then go for a nice long ride to break it in!

Im also toying with the idea of getting some clip in pedals and shoes, are they worth it?

Anyway not long to go now just get tonight out of the way!

Congratulations, the Allez is a good bike. Going clipless is a good idea on this sort of bike. Unfortunately I don't consider this bike to be a 'commuter'. I am ready to be shot down but......700c x 23 tyres? No thanks.

Bill

Tynan

Veteran
I commute on 23s

although I've chnaged the rear to a 25, mostly for the imminent DD

you have a problem with 700s as well?

No Tynan mate, I don't have a problem with 700c tyres. But on my Langster I have, by far, the most visits from the PF on 23 tyres (I can't explain it but there you are). I would never consider them reliable enough for a day-to-day commute. Each to their own but I would opt for a more substantial tyre.

Bill

martint235

Dog on a bike
I commute on 23s

although I've chnaged the rear to a 25, mostly for the imminent DD

you have a problem with 700s as well?

I've commuted on 23x700s for a while now, I even did it on 20s for a bit by mistake!!! :whistle:

I have however been lectured by a LBS that a racing bike with 700x23s should not be used as a commuting bike. I just don't go to that shop anymore.....:angry:

photography27

well thats just great....i have just bought some 23's to commute on!!!!
the mush in the bike shop said i wouldnt really see any diff?
wait and see i suppose

nich

I have a 2006 (I think) Allez. I keep thinking about getting a new bike, but I really love the frame and the ride and would end up just missing it, so I'm sticking with it :smile:

I also use 23x700 - not a single problem so far on London roads (I've cursed myself now haven't I)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
No Tynan mate, I don't have a problem with 700c tyres. But on my Langster I have, by far, the most visits from the PF on 23 tyres (I can't explain it but there you are). I would never consider them reliable enough for a day-to-day commute. Each to their own but I would opt for a more substantial tyre.

Bill

You must have had some bad tyres. I've had less punctures on my 23's than i have on 32's. And i have done more miles on 23'.

I hope the bike shop meant ' 23mm tyres aren't generally as good at smoothing the bumps out as fatter tyres, but they have other advantages that can make your ride more enjoyable - I'd choose comfy, big fat tyres personally', rather than don't commute on them.

Loads of people use 23's for the ride to work and choose to do so, so don't worry.

Enjoy your bike btw, very nice.
thumbsup.png

Congratulations, the Allez is a good bike. Going clipless is a good idea on this sort of bike. Unfortunately I don't consider this bike to be a 'commuter'. I am ready to be shot down but......700c x 23 tyres? No thanks.

Bill

LOL

why would anyone not commute on 700*23?

34 miles a day for me, would not consider anything else !
biggrin.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do a 34 mile round commute so 23's for me also. Really notice the difference with 25's or higher. Look after your tyres, check the regularly and you should have less of a puncture problem.

Paul_L

Über Member
i also commute on 23s with a 28mile round trip. with no probs. I've just bought a hybrid with 40s for the tow path for the change of scenary but that's not to say i don't like the 23s.

I have the same Spesh too. Nice bike.

Well I expected to be shot down, and shot down I was. Lol. However, I do religiously keep my Spesh Mondo 700c x 23 tyres up to 110psi and yet still keep getting punctures (2 on the same cyclepath commute only last week). I was proper fed up! As I said, each to their own...............perhaps I should change to Gatorskins to see if that changes my luck.

Bill

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have Schwalbe Durano S 23s on my Allez Elite & love commuting on it, in fact I love riding it anywhere :thumbsup: I've done a few hundred miles & although the rear got a 5mm cut on the 2nd ride :angry: i've had no deflations. Can't carry as much gear as on my other bikes, but it's a lot faster :biggrin:

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Ive been commuting on my Allez Sport for nearly five month's now, I kept the slicks on for a while but after having two punctures in two days I chucked on a pair of gatorskins .... bliss !!

BTW ........... you are gonna love the Allez , still loving mine big time ( promise me ur keep it clean .... hate mine looking dirty )
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom