too heavy for my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaiser

Hi everybody, i am new to cycling, just bought my first £500 road bike. my question is this..
i've started cycling to primarily to loose weight, i'm 6ft and 16 stone 7lbs. will my budget bike hold my weight ok if i start out on the road? or should i stick to the trainer for a while to try to shift some of my weight first? and does an overweight person on a bike look stupid puffing & panting up the hills?? also what tyre pressure should i be using with regards to my weight? if this is several stupid questions bundled up into one post i apoligise in advance.. please dont roast me :smile: would appreciate your thoughts.. thanks.

TVC

Hi Kaiser and welcome.

My short answer would be that the bike should be fine, but I suggest you get some advice (and a shed load of inspiration) from our very own gb155:

http://www.cyclechat.net/user/4128-gb155/

Also at his website:

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/pictures/

Enjoy the ride.

Jim

Steve H

Large Member
Hi Kaiser - I started cycling last year at just under 18 stone, and I'm 6'5. Started on a fairly cheap mountain bike on the roads and then later began to give it a bit of stick off roads. It's been fine. I lost a bit of weight throughout the year, I'm around 17 stone now. Got myself a road bike last October. I asked the guy in the shop if it was ok for a big bloke and he said it was fine for heavier than me.

So as long as you haven't bought something overly cheap and delicate I'm sure you will be fine. Agree with The Velvet Curtain though - if you want some inspiration take a look at Gaz's website in the post above.

pedallingpasty

What bike do you have?
When i started commuting again last year, i was 18 stone and still 6' 2''(:tongue: ). Using an old hack bike off ebay and it was fine. I have now ordered a sporty hybrid with 700cc wheels, so i have some concerns myself.
Don't think you will have any problems.
If you are starting cycling from scratch, just take it easy for the first few weeks and your lungs will get better.
Don't go searching for the biggest hills yet, do some easy routes first. Use your gears as well, the biggest fault of mine was the grinding in too high a gear. Sure fire way in buggering up your joints and bike, i aim for a spin of about 80-90 rpm using lower gears than you think maybe right.
Also get your bike properly set up, maybe by local bike shop or there is some good info on the inter webby. This will make it a lot easier for you.
Overall, you maybe surprised that it doesn't take too long for the body to adapt.
These are just my own experience and not sure of you are a novice, i am sure their will be more knowledgeable answers to come yet.

Overall, enjoy it and bugger what everyone else thinks. Because every soon you will feel the benefits.

OP
OP
K

kaiser

i bought a ridley triton. thanks for the comments everybody, keep the advice & tips coming.

You won't have any problems with the Triton - I ride a Ridley and it's plenty strong - Belgian bikes have to work on the cobbles so they have to be well made!

The only thing you really need to look at are the wheels - a well made pair of 32h would be my choice and then get some factory wheels when you are nearer to 13st.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Kaiser - you are the same weight as I was when I started cycling again as an adult, and about an inch shorter than me and I've never smashed up any of my bikes!

I don't use super-high tyre pressures. (About 85-90 psi front, 95-100 psi rear.)

Ride sensibly and watch where you are going and you will be ok. Don't bump up and down over kerbs. Watch out for (and avoid riding into) potholes. Keep your eyes peeled for debris lying in the road - I hit a large piece of timber once which gave me punctures front and back. 'Ride light' (lift yourself out of saddle when riding over things like raised manhole covers, cattle grids or tram lines - let your bent arms and legs act as suspension).

snailracer

Über Member
More tips to avoid stressing your bike and wheels:

1. Keep your bottom on or directly over the saddle, so your body is always in-plane with your frame and wheels to minimise sideways forces.

2. When climbing or accelerating, avoid standing on the pedals while rocking the bike from side-to-side beneath you. If you must stand, bear point 4 in mind as a higher cadence results in less extreme rocking.

3. Avoid sitting "crooked" on one edge of the bike saddle (like kids on BMX bikes have a tendency to do).

4. Select the lowest suitable gear for your speed, pedal gently at high cadence instead of "mashing" to avoid stressing the cogs and chain (and your knees).

I'm not 16.5 stone, but I still observe the above tips because I'm a stingy, lazy g1t and like to avoid spending time and money buying and fitting replacements for worn-out parts. Also, my knees ARE worn out but I haven't got the money to replace those :sad:.

Mark_Robson

As the above and don't worry about your appearance. Any cyclist worth his or her salt will respect you for being a cyclist regardless of size. As for the general public, I get the piss taken out of me all the time when I am wearing lycra. When I explained to a guy at work just how much it costs to look like a "knob" he was amazed. :thumbsup:

Fozz

my life!!! have i entered Land of the giants???!!!!

I`m 5"10 and i`ve been 16 to 17 stone for around 5 years my, wife is a good cook :blush: and I`ve shed a stone or thereabouts in the last 2 to 3 months when i was looking for a road bike i had it in mind to build my own for about £150.........i soon realised it wasn`t 1985 anymore. so i bought a Raleigh airlite 100 for a whopping £299......on the basis its the same frame all the way up to the airlite 400 (upgrades y`see :becool: ) the first thing i thought i would need was wheels......a thousand miles in and the wheels are as straight as a die :thumbsup:

i`m sure my technique is rotton too......

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I was 24 stone ISH IIRC when I got my Ribble, the wheels were Mavic open sport, I think I broke a spoke only once, it was totally standard, dont bunny hop kerbs, pothols etc and **** what anyone else thinks, if I saw you I would think" at least he is trying, as opposed to sat on his butt playing xbox " :-)

Good luck dude !

Top Bottom