Too Heavy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
I was 19 stone when I started commuting last winter and now I'm 15.5 stone. Damned sight cheaper than a carbon bike! You can do it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
3 travel chess sets

I think we can all agree that no cyclist needs more than 2 travel chess sets at any one time.

As above I was over 17 stone when I started in January now I'm under 15 and have not done any dieting, just cycling.

I know the nights are drawing in and everyone is starting to hide away for the winter but try to feel more possitive. All the time you are dragging that heavy stuff round with you you are working harder and using more calories. Stick a couple of bricks in the pannier bags and realy feel the burn.:whistle:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Multitool and 2 spanners?
Can you rationalise that? Make sure all the fasteners on the bike can be dealt with by the multitool.
Nutted wheels? - replace with QR or allen-key "security skewers" ?

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I love the way the advise gets more practical the longer the thread. This seems to be a universal law: jokey - practical - arguments - madness.

Just to reply to a few:

I've lost a few lb in the last couple of months and only want to lose about another 7lb (am trying). I agree that I can cope with only 2 travel chess sets and have removed one. I have one spanner to remove the wheels as last time I tried with the multitool it snapped. Can't remember what the other small spanner is for. Can't leave clothes at work for various reasons but have removed the fluff. Will remove one spare tube after checking that the remaining one is whole (or holeless) and ditch the spare puncture repair kit. Bungee is for holding the panniers in place so need that but can make do without the waterproof coat some days. I don't take my heavy U Lock some days and have replaced it with a nearly useless but light lock when the bike is going to be in a fairly secure place.

Tried to sign up for the next manned lunar mission but I'll probably be dead by the time they get round to it and I'm too heavy to reach escape velocity by flapping my arms (I've tried). In the spitit of handy tips though I've had a pee and trimmed my nails. Will replace heavy watch with girls one soon.

Thanks for all your help and advise, I'm feeling a lot better today :becool:

rowan 46

Über Member
I think you'll notice the difference now the fluff has gone
thumbsup.png

TechnoTim2011

Last year when I had to commute to work, I considered myself too heavy at first, had a single pannier with work clothes in it. rationalised down to just a shirt and socks and occasionally a clean towel. My commute was short but brutal up a 10% hill from a standing start (I lived at the bottom of said hill) then more subtle uphill all the way to work. I lost 1.6 stone and started to challenge myself to do the hill in higher and higher gears (eventually 5th on the middle cog)

Now sadly I work from home and get no time for a daily ride (too much traffic to be fun during the day) and my weight is ever increasing.

So trim what you carry and suffer the first month then it will get easier and easier.

biking_fox

Guru
Will remove one spare tube after checking that the remaining one is whole (or holeless)

This I wouldn't recommend. It does depend a bit on the length of your commute and the prevalence of bike shops / taxis, but it is quite possible to get two punctures in a single ride! (ie front and back over a thorny branch/glass. Or even to get it wrong on the first one and pinch a hole in it.

SO I would take two tubes, pump and tyre levers, but leave the repair kits one at home and one at work.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
This I wouldn't recommend. It does depend a bit on the length of your commute and the prevalence of bike shops / taxis, but it is quite possible to get two punctures in a single ride! (ie front and back over a thorny branch/glass. Or even to get it wrong on the first one and pinch a hole in it.

SO I would take two tubes, pump and tyre levers, but leave the repair kits one at home and one at work.

Problem is I have an Alfine Hub, rack and guard so a rear wheel puncture may be best tackled on the rim with a patch.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Wow that's a lot of stuff!!
  1. 3 1 front lights and 2 1 rear - one of each is enough right?
  2. Pump - OK
  3. 2 1 spare tubes - one too many
  4. 2 1 repair kits - one too many
  5. Multitool - OK
  6. Multitool pouch - its already in a pouch isn't it (the pannier)?
  7. 2 spanners - get a better multi tool
  8. Spare batteries - check before you set off
  9. Shirt - OK
  10. Trousers - OK
  11. Bungee - OK
  12. Waterproof Jacket - OK
  13. Paper towel (?) - If it raining won't this get soggy?
  14. Cycle computer - get a laptop*
  15. Cycle lock - leave a lock at work?
  16. Mobile phone - OK
  17. Set of keys - do you need all of them??
  18. Work folder - shouldnt that be at work?
  19. 3 travel chess sets - where do you play chess on you commute
  20. Fluff - <<< THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM RIGHT HERE, especially if it gets wet

*joke

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Wow that's a lot of stuff!!
  1. 3 1 front lights and 2 1 rear - one of each is enough right?
  2. Pump - OK
  3. 2 1 spare tubes - one too many
  4. 2 1 repair kits - one too many
  5. Multitool - OK
  6. Multitool pouch - its already in a pouch isn't it (the pannier)?
  7. 2 spanners - get a better multi tool
  8. Spare batteries - check before you set off
  9. Shirt - OK
  10. Trousers - OK
  11. Bungee - OK
  12. Waterproof Jacket - OK
  13. Paper towel (?) - If it raining won't this get soggy?
  14. Cycle computer - get a laptop*
  15. Cycle lock - leave a lock at work?
  16. Mobile phone - OK
  17. Set of keys - do you need all of them??
  18. Work folder - shouldnt that be at work?
  19. 3 travel chess sets - where do you play chess on you commute
  20. Fluff - <<< THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM RIGHT HERE, especially if it gets wet

*joke

I've already agreed to remove one chess set and am not prepared to compromise on that any further :wacko:

biking_fox

Guru
Problem is I have an Alfine Hub, rack and guard so a rear wheel puncture may be best tackled on the rim with a patch.

Hubgears make it easier to take the wheel off and do it properly- at least mine does. Swapping a new tub is easier than patching. I doubt I could ever sucessfully apply a patch with the tube still insitu ... but it might depend on your wheel size I suppose.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Hubgears make it easier to take the wheel off and do it properly- at least mine does. Swapping a new tub is easier than patching. I doubt I could ever sucessfully apply a patch with the tube still insitu ... but it might depend on your wheel size I suppose.

I'm no expert on this so asked in a recent thread and got mixed replies:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

I'll practice taking the wheel off and decide then I guess.

Top Bottom