Too many electronic devices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
On my desk I have:

A Nokia mobile phone - 5800 music
A Canon digital camera
An iPod nano
An ACER M900 PDA for work

My pockets just aren't big enough!

There's also a lot of duplication of function yet each device (apart from the camera) has at least one function unique to it that makes it worth carting around.

Does anyone else suffer from bulging pockets?

Does anyone else have a draw full of redundant devices?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
vernon said:

Attic and shed :biggrin:

Debian

vernon said:

No, but I now suffer from Batman utility belt syndrome. I carry phone, pda, camera, Leatherman in belt pouches and the music player in a sport type holder that straps to my arm.

:biggrin:

mark barker

I've managed to resist the technology overload quite well... I have a mobile phone for work (but I tend to forget to carry it with me!), and I've got an ipod which gets used when I'm walking the dog. My computer is a desktop (although everyone keeps telling me I need a laptop).

I'm always surprised at the number of people that have more than one mobile phone, never quite understand why they'd want 2 (or 3 in the case of one of my friends!)

RedBike

I'm building up a dynamo wheel just so that I can keep all of my 'must have' electronic devices I seem to have got on the bike powered when I go touring. (Lights, camera, GPS, Netbook, smartphone.)

I'm seriously starting to question if and why I need these things.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sadly all-in-one devices are rarely anything like as good as decent dedicated ones.

My phone is also a camera, camcorder, GPS and music player, among other things, but I have separate cameras, camcorder, GPS and music player.

Debian

mark barker said:
I've managed to resist the technology overload quite well... I have a mobile phone for work (but I tend to forget to carry it with me!), and I've got an ipod which gets used when I'm walking the dog. My computer is a desktop (although everyone keeps telling me I need a laptop).

I'm always surprised at the number of people that have more than one mobile phone, never quite understand why they'd want 2 (or 3 in the case of one of my friends!)

I have a work phone and a private phone so have to have two.

Chrisz

Über Member
vernon said:
On my desk I have:

A Canon digital camera
An iPod nano

There's also a lot of duplication of function yet each device (apart from the camera) has at least one function unique to it that makes it worth carting around.

I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 that ticks all those boxes :wacko:

OK, so the camera's not up to much (but fine for snapshots and reference pics), the music player works just fine ta, and the keyboard is not brilliant for typing long documents but again, works ok. It also has a TV out function which is useful for delivering lectures/powerpoint presentations. And it all fits in my one pocket nicely (and it has SatNav too) :bicycle:

tyred

Legendary Member
There was a time when I was obsessed with electrical gadgets but nowadays, I've gone in completely the opposite direction.

I do have an ancient mobile phone which rarely leaves the glovebox of my car. I have it turned of most of the time anyway. I view it as an invasion of privacy (but they do have their uses no doubt).

I like landscape photography and I do have a reasonably decent digital camera but I prefer to use slide film so don't use it that much.

I have a load of computers and computer parts from when I used to repair/buy/sell computers but these are mostly obsolete parts now and bikes have taken over as my main hobby.

I do like my portable MP3 player.

I have no Sat Nav, my map reading skills are pretty good and don't feel the need for one.

I have considered buying one of those e-book things but have decided paper is better.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
vernon said:
On my desk I have:

A Canon digital camera
An iPod nano

I carry all that lot around and more sometimes...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Chrisz said:
I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 that ticks all those boxes :biggrin:
Not really.

I have the same phone. It's one of the best smartphones out there. As an all-in-one device, it's very capable.

But ...

The camera is appalling. The GPS is ok for reference but useless for routing on backroads (and the battery would be dead before you got halfway there). It stores only 5% of my music collection. It's fine for brief emails or a small amount of web use, but no substitute at all for a netbook.

Chrisz

Über Member
I use TomTom - no worries.

16gb memory card takes care of music :thumbsup:

Camera's crap but if I need to take decent pics I take my camera. Same for the rest of it - if I want to do lots of computing/emails etc I use the laptop etc etc.

I'm not for one moment suggesting it is a replacement for all the items listed but it does a fair job trying. Much easier than carrying loads of different, cumbersome bits of kit around all the time.

Top Bottom