Too Much Energy drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlie999

Hi,

In short is it possible to take on board too much energy drink on a long ride?

I did a 100 mile charity ride the other day for the second time. Not being a small person and being a bit concerned if I would finish I made sure that I would not be lacking in the energy drink department. In my training rides of between 25 to 35 miles I have been drinking about two 750ml bottles of Torq energy drink made up of between 1 & 2 scoops per bottle. (They recommend for prolonged intense activity mixing 3 scoops per bottle which translates to 6% carbs. If that makes sense to anyone). I have been fine on this.

On the main ride I mixed up a few bottles with a 3 scoop mix and set of. After about 40 to 50 miles I was feeling extremely fatigued slightly spaced out and not wanting to drink. I think I would have drank about 3 to 4 bottles by that stage. From then on I diluted my drinks by about 50% and slowly recovered and then finished the ride.

Is it possible that I took on board too much energy drink and that was causing me to feel so bad and spaced out and diluting my other drinks allowed my body to get rid of the excess. Or was I just fatigued hitting the wall and needed time to get my second wind?

The funny thing was that I felt brilliant up to about 35 miles then suddenly this come on.

charlie999 said:
Hi,

In short is it possible to take on board too much energy drink on a long ride?

I don't think its possible to take on too much fluid.

In my training rides of between 25 to 35 miles I have been drinking about two 750ml bottles of Torq energy drink made up of between 1 & 2 scoops per bottle.

The funny thing was that I felt brilliant up to about 35 miles then suddenly this come on.

What is the longest ride you'd done regularly prior; you mention 25-35 miles so its not surprising that you felt good up to that point. More training needed over longer distances is required IMO.

jimboalee

You got "belly slosh".

Not enough solid foods. Your brain thought the carbs were from solid food but your stomach wall couldn't feel any.

Read up what the pros EAT.

Liquid carbs are for instant hill climbing energy. Not really for the entire ride. They also weigh a lot ( which you have to carry on the bike all the way from the start ).

If you need to get a quick 400 kCals of energy down you, try three shortbread biscuits and a can of regular Coke.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
HLaB said:
I don't think its possible to take on too much fluid.
Dangerously untrue - see articles on hyponatraemia and water intoxication! It would take some doing, mind you.

HLaB said:
What is the longest ride you'd done regularly prior; you mention 25-35 miles so its not surprising that you felt good up to that point. More training needed over longer distances is required IMO.
That was my reaction too.

For a hilly 100 mile ride I'd normally drink 4 * 750 mL bottles with three scoops of unflavoured maltodextrin (carbo) powder per bottle. I use a mix of 1/3 OJ to 2/3 water when making up the drinks. Fructose is a helpful extra energy source and it makes the drinks taste better. I add a pinch of LoSalt to each drink too. I think it helps keep cramp at bay. I come back from long rides covered in salt from my sweat.

I'd also eat a couple of cereal bars and perhaps a bar of chocolate or piece of fruit cake as well. I often have a 500 mL bottle of Coca Cola at about 75 miles (the sugary original NOT the diet stuff - I WANT the extra calories on a long ride!).

Hi,am I missing something here or is there an underground move against Small Persons (charlie999)?.I do not grasp the reference/mention of "Not being a small person etc.Is it perhaps a thought or notion that small persons don't burn as much energy nor need as much stoking up as taller ones?.My claim to fame is that I am,I have been all of my life(65ysr in September)A SMALL PERSON 4'11" or 1.5mtrs TALL and weigh 10st 6lbs or 61kgs (and considered fit for an old git).My morning fuelling up is a a large bowl of Coarse Jumbo Oats,done the traditional Scottish way (it helps to keep the cholesterol levels sensible at 4.5 ),a mid morning fruit snack:-an apple & a banana and a 500ml bottle with a Robinsons Barley Water mix in it.If energy is running low a Mars Bar soon puts that to rights,I have a fast metabolism and like SMALL BIRDS & MAMMALS need to keep stoked up in order to keep up with my TALL CYCLING FRIENDS.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Hi,

Thanks for the replies some food for thought!!

When I said not small it was a nice way of saying I'm carrying a bit of weight! It had nothing to do with height!

Longer training rides is a very good point I have done a rook of 25 to 35's a couple at 40 but nothing more than that so lesson to learn increase a bit.

I was not trying to find the drinks guilty when I know I could train better. I, like a lot I presume find it a minefield of what to have and when.

Was I drinking water as well? No just the energy drink mix. I had also had a couple of energy bars by that time and a good breakfast so should of had food in the belly.

Longer rides, weaker energy drink mix, solid food & see how I go I'm thinking is the advice.

Thanks again.

mercurykev

My first thought was that you need to eat as well as drink. Try sticking some dried fruit, nuts and cereal bars in your pocket and graze during the ride. On rides I use food for energy and liquids for rehydration - it seems to work quite well.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Everyone is different tbh. If i try eating more than a mouthful during any rides, it comes straight back and/or i get a stitch.

If i'm on a long ride (60mile+) I'll take one bottle of energy pop (psps22) and drink another of water. if i feel rough, i'll munch a energy bar of some sort 30 mile in.

but it all depends on how fast you ride, the gradient, your age, your weight, etc etc etc and whats right for you might be totally different to me

e-rider

crappy member
I drink plenty of NUUN and eat the odd energy bar/gel every 20 miles or so. Just be sensible about how much you consume - a bit of common sense goes a long way.

I think you probably just bonked as your training seems limited for doing a 100 miler. I always go through rough patches on long rides; and on 100 milers it's often between 40-70

navrat_biker

You got "belly slosh".

This is correct, you needed somethin solid in your system at the same time. Depends what you like, you can either do the route of the supplements or something along the lines of fig rolls, etc.

As for the Energy drinks. some are alot heavier than others, what brand was it?

PM me if you like and i will give you an insight into the difference of the brands. If for example lucozade body fuel that sits really bad on an empty stomach and reacts with the stomach acid in an unusal way, ok if you eat with it though.

jimboalee

tundragumski said:
I drink plenty of NUUN and eat the odd energy bar/gel every 20 miles or so. Just be sensible about how much you consume - a bit of common sense goes a long way.

I think you probably just bonked as your training seems limited for doing a 100 miler. I always go through rough patches on long rides; and on 100 milers it's often between 40-70

I eat plenty of NAAN and drink the odd can of Coke every 20 miles or so. :sad:

There is a diffence between 'bonking' and 'limited training'.

Bonking is completely running out of energy in the bloodstream. The fittest, most well trained athletes can bonk.

Insufficient training is where the 'trained' muscle fibres are exhausted and the other fibres within the muscle have not been trained due to a low intensity when training.
When this happens, no amount of solid, gel or liquid carbs can get them going.
An adrenaline shot would do the trick.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
HLaB said:
I was surprised when I went to see the Vuelta last year and a lot of the pros were guzzling coke on the mountain stages :biggrin:
It's a cold drink containing sugar and caffeine which can give a refreshing boost, so why not? Okay, the gas in the drink might be a problem, but if you notice, they are often only drinking very small cans - 250 mL?

Top Bottom