Too old for the care home residents weekly entertainment question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Udo Lindenberg.

Invented the airship, I believe.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just out of interest, because my parents have just made me POA, is there a definite point where someone makes a decision? What if they start losing their faculties and insist on staying in their home when they can't manage?

As others have said, you have the power now, although there are legal obligations to act in your parents’ best interests.

https://www.gov.uk/enduring-power-attorney-duties/your-duties

There are strictly two types of POA for health and welfare and finances, but generally you get both.

I had PoA for Pa B, who suffered from Alzheimer’s. The process of exercising your POA will vary with the circumstances and is usually more about the mundane stuff like bills and dealing with doctors. For the Big Decisions like going into care or end-of-life care, in the end it’d be your call.

Pa B was a bit of a handful and ended up getting sectioned, so was in a secure ward rather than a care home. It was actually the best environment for him and thankfully free of faux nostalgia.

Slick

Guru
Also, Mrs Slick and I are each others POA and have been for years. I worked in a reasonably risky industry and Mrs Slick wanted the security. Can't blame her when you read some horror stories.

toffee

Guru
Just out of interest, because my parents have just made me POA, is there a definite point where someone makes a decision? What if they start losing their faculties and insist on staying in their home when they can't manage?

There are 2 types of POA. One financial one health. Even if you have Health POA then if they are deemed to have capacity their views will top yours. They can have capacity in some areas but not others so it is not black or white.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We mainly used the Finance POA with MIL as she refused to deal with any of it, so my wife handled everything. Health POA was only really used at end of Life when further 'treatment' was decided to stop. The Health one can help when/if the person is in Hospital and you've authority to find out what's going on (as said person wasn't interested).

All uphill

Still rolling along
Gawd.....I would rather have jim reeves (and his voice left me cold)

Earlier this year MIL came to the end of her life, far gone with dementia.

She was in a wonderful home that really knew how to keep her happy.

For her last week or so she would only rest if the Jim Reeves CD was constantly on auto replay. It was great for her but torture for us after the first 50 times :laugh:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Earlier this year MIL came to the end of her life, far gone with dementia.

She was in a wonderful home that really knew how to keep her happy.

For her last week or so she would only rest if the Jim Reeves CD was constantly on auto replay. It was great for her but torture for us after the first 50 times :laugh:

On the Kop in the 70s, particularly when Utd fans were in the opposite end......we would sing "I hear the sound of distant BUMS over there"

Chris S

Legendary Member
I went to see a bloke I know in his care home last week. He's aged 64 and not in good health due to a stroke about 10 years ago. I went the day it was the weekly afternoon sing along. I didn't know, otherwise I would've gone another day as talking over the music wasn't really possible. The music was the typical 'old fogie' stuff like Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye, Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag, etc etc. :rolleyes: That was ok when I worked in a care home 30 odd years ago, as the residents mostly in their 70's/80's could relate to that music of their youth, but nowadays 70/80 year olds were youths in the 1950's and 60's. The bloke I went to see was like me into punk rock in the late 1970's. Why do care home managers think 60/70/80 year olds like music from years before they were born?🤔 :rolleyes: My question is, If you lived in a care home what type of music would you like to hear from a weekly entertainer? It doesn't have to be liked by all, if any other residents by the way.;)

I've got a knee injury and so had to go to a daytime gym class instead of an evening one. It was aimed at the over 60s and played non-stop 70's disco throughout.

Top Bottom