Too old for the care home residents weekly entertainment question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to see a bloke I know in his care home last week. He's aged 64 and not in good health due to a stroke about 10 years ago. I went the day it was the weekly afternoon sing along. I didn't know, otherwise I would've gone another day as talking over the music wasn't really possible. The music was the typical 'old fogie' stuff like Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye, Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag, etc etc. :rolleyes: That was ok when I worked in a care home 30 odd years ago, as the residents mostly in their 70's/80's could relate to that music of their youth, but nowadays 70/80 year olds were youths in the 1950's and 60's. The bloke I went to see was like me into punk rock in the late 1970's. Why do care home managers think 60/70/80 year olds like music from years before they were born?🤔 :rolleyes: My question is, If you lived in a care home what type of music would you like to hear from a weekly entertainer? It doesn't have to be liked by all, if any other residents by the way.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The bloke I went to see used to constantly put these two tunes on a local pub's jukebox.

Imagine those being sung/performed in a care home! :whistle:

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye, Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag, etc etc

You'd have to be 120yrs old to remember them, frinstance Maz is a bit older than me but her brother and his wife are in their 80's now and despite them being big fans of Elvis (been to Graceland even) and Eddie Cochran/Gene Vincent they're both into 'Heavy Rock'
Last gig we went to with them was a Glenn Hughes 'Deep Purple' night but before that Mick &Sylv took Maz to a 'Black Country Communion' gig in London (Joe Bonnamassa, Jason Bonham and Glenn Hughes) mind you it helped that their son Carl Swann was Glenn's manager at the time so it was free with an AAA (access all areas) pass at the Hammersmith Odean (or whatever it's called nowadays)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My question is, If you lived in a care home what type of music would you like to hear from a weekly entertainer? It doesn't have to be liked by all, if any other residents by the way.;)
I couldn't stand to live in a care home whatever type of entertainment they provided! I've been a grumpy singleton most of my life so I don't want to pretend to be sociable when I am old (-er!) and decrepit! :laugh:

But on the care home entertainment front, this popped up on YouTube a couple of nights ago... :whistle:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I would just like a symphony of Naval guns firing off. Maybe the good old grunt of a BL 15 inch naval gun. If im feeling particularly spirited, I might go for HMS Nelson's Ordinance BL 16 inch gun barrage. That'll put some vigour in your old bones.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our local care home has a bar that serves ales from a local microbrewery 🍺

AndyRM

XOXO
Probably something chilled out and ambient. Earth, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or early doors Mortiis.

Or you could go absolutely wild and stick on a Theologian record. Or Nanowar of Steel. Or Thy Catafalque.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
At the retirement complex where I live and work (best job ever and everyday is a privilege) the youngest is only a year older than me the oldest late 90's. I do classical evenings, blues events, 60's and 70's evenings. It's all good and always involves wine. Just because you get old doesn't mean give up. We have the crazy aspirations and dreams. Why should age stop you having fun? Have it while you can, life can change overnight.

Sharky

Guru
Strangely enough, I was a teenager (just) and grew up on Merseyside when the Beatles arrived. Used to listen to Caroline and Radio Luxemborg and all the latest releases throuout my adult life. Classical music was just a no-go.

But now, when I'm driving, I often turn the dial to Classic FM and find it more relaxing than "pop" music.

Not sure what I would like to listen to in a retirement home. Pop music, but from which decade. I haven't liked it all, or more soothing classical music.

Top Bottom