Too scared to ride fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
RedBike said:
GrasB:. Yes i've tried leg braking but There's just no way I can hold the bike like this. On a 10%-15% hill as soon as I let the brakes off no matter what I do the bike speeds up quickly.
Fair enough. I leg brake differently at 110rpm up. Below that I'm putting resistance into the whole leg rotation but at higher cadence I'm just trying to keep my let at the top of the stroke, it's a different technique & comfortable doing this up to about 190rpm, though it does lose efficiency from around 150rpm. I then use the front brake, disc, to keep the leg speeds acceptable.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Doesn't matter what bike you are riding when someone pulls a move like that on you, glad you weren't badly hurt but I expect the bruising is painful.

RedBike said:
It's a shame you can't get a rear hub that would allow you to freewheel for a bit then switch the bike back to fixed wheel for the flats / the climbs. Or even a geared fixed hub so I didn't have to spin like a nutter down the hills.

I once bid on an old bike on eBay which had exactly this: a fixed/free hub where you could change using a lever on the bars. I guess it went for more than I was willing to bid. I expect the hubs are pretty uncommon and I'm afraid I know next to nothing about them.

And a multispeed fixed hub is now available- saw something about that over at YACF.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

The Sturmey isn't available (yet?).

Sunrace were going to release it last year but then it seems nothing happened. They pulled the plug on it for some reason.

There are a few 'old' models around that are fixed geared hubs but they're as rare as hens teeth and go for a pretty penny.

colinr

Better riding single speed than not at all.
Is that 133 miles in one day with one gear? If so, I feel totally inadequate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
RedBike said:
I set off on a long ride on the fixie on Wednesday and lasted all of 3 miles before I stopped and flipped the wheel over. The next 130miles were done single speed. - I think it's fare to say the fixies had it's day!

Talking of geared fixed wheel hubs I've just found this....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200381802772&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

No good matey...I thought you were a hell of a lot hard core than me about fixed/single speed .......

I love my fixed for my work bike.....It's actually slower than my road bikes by a few mph.....so that's one benefit....REALLY... I can control speed now, it doesn't feel like a run away rocket......you have to change your riding style....I pedal 360 on a normal bike, ankles etc, not on the fixed - lock your ankles out.....it's really weird, but works...

Well as for stopping, I think a panic stop is faster on a fixed....... I nearly rear ended a car/bus/car/bus....... couldn't reach the levers in time...panic 'freewheel' jammed on......locked up the rear..... stopped........

I'm a roadie, really, but a fixed road bike is a good bit of kit in town....speed down, braking up (because you forget) - don't get into this 'skid' crap - certainly not on my excellent GP 4 Seasons.....

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

If I worked in Manchester then I probably would still be using the fixie. The trouble is I live in a rather hilly area and i've found that 15% decents and fixies just do not mix.

I'm going to keep the bike single speed but I wont be running it fixed again for a while.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My advice, see my Signature....The Allfather wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear, profits a man nothing.

Top Bottom