Too soon to cut the lawn ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Did it last weekend. It can wait another week.

newts

Veteran
The grass was surprisingly dry this afternoon, so the lawn had it's first mow.
It now resembles my lockdown haircut, tufty around the edges & sporadic bald patches where in the past there was healthy growth.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Putting vitax no rake moss killer on mine later this afternoon, then will look at mowing it next week. We still have ground frost down at the moment.

byegad

Legendary Member
Here in NE England our grass is indeed growing. I'd have trimmed it today, dropping the first cut, more a light trim, back as a mulch. But the ground is far too wet. Anyway the garden bin collection starts in 4 weeks time and the bin is already full after winter pruning of our roses and other bushes. If I trim it now it will need a proper cut before there's room to put the cuttings.

Drago

Legendary Member
I debated it, but judged it still too wet. One of my neighbours has done theirs and it looks a right mess as a result.

Interestingly though, the grass seems to habe only grown minimally over winter.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
According to Greenskeeper Willie ( aka my 14yr old ) its an ok time for grass cutting. In fact he has scarified and fed front and back lawns after giving them a wee trim :rolleyes: . I leave him in charge of grass cutting duties, to be honest our front lawn always looks the biz come spring/summer !

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Being in a clay area (hence London Bricks presence in the city) our garden has extremely poor drainage and moss is a big problem.
Add to that I'm not a very avid gardener and weeds get in the lawn and spread. My lawn, while green, if heavily inhabited by moss and weeds Last year I put down moss and weed killer and while it leaves fairly patchy grass, feeding it through the year gave us the best lawn we ever had. Just a bit of moss in a particually wet spot of the garden just now, that'll get treated soon.
Regular weed and feeding is the thing, and it's easy.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You would think that with all the techy bio-fiddling that grass could easily be genetically modified to grow lushly until it reached 1⅓" then stop!!

Top Bottom