Took a tumble 2.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Was out for what was planned to be a 50 or so miler this morning. It was lovely in the sunshine, if a bit on the cold side. Took a cycle path that runs adjacent to the busy main road here between Largs and Fairlie. Into a slight left hander and BANG! Down goes the bike, and I am left bouncing along the tarmac at 15ish mph. It was the dreaded black ice. Even when I was standing on the spot, I could hardly see it, it was only when you moved your feet on the surface that you could feel the ice.

Bike is fine, the left hand pedal and QR lever took the brunt. Left handlebar plug came out but amazingly the tape is not damaged! As for me, sore left hand, wrist, and shoulder. Hope it doesn't get worse overnight and stop me driving (gear changing could be a problem) or it could prove costly by having to take time off work.

Think I will give up this winter cycling lark. 3 offs in consecutive winters now have all cost me time off work and therefore money. If it's not icy then it's wet and/or windy in this part of the country. So just not worth it :sad:. Should have been out on the MTB with its winter tyres, but wasn't expecting ice today, it didn't seem that cold.

endoman

know the feeling re black ice, been done 3 times by it this winter, not chancing it anywhere near zero again.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Sorry to hear about your tumble. Bit of a shock to the system isn't it?
Might be a bit stiff in the morning. If you've got time, a warm bath may help first thing in the morning.
Have one tonight as well. Painkillers after that.
I am glad you're not seriously hurt and wish you a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
GWS Brandane! :hugs:
Why are you not out on the ice spikers? I am gonna keep them until April :laugh:

That would have been too sensible :laugh:. Wasn't expecting any ice, or I would have been using them, or been on the main road. Or more likely not out at all, as the main roads around here are too dangerous IMHO, especially with the low sun at that time in the morning. Blind car drivers don't see us at the best of times, never mind when driving into the low sun. The minor roads don't get gritted, so we just can't win!

endoman

Best to stick to the main roads when it's likely to be icy.
I was on a main road when I hit black ice, no guarantees.

snorri

Legendary Member
Hope you are ok in the morning Brandane. I was on a fairly high road today with no sign of frost, and usually the east coast is colder.
Just shows you, we never know.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
But up here in the frozen north they are much better at getting the gritters out when the temperatures drop.
Paisley is the frozen north now? Bless you :rolleyes:
You have a point about the gritters, I find it's a hit and miss though, depending on the area.
South Lanarkshire has been really good in the last cold spell, while, just across the road, when it says "welcome to Glasgow", the gritter turns round, the bike goes ....:B)
Yes, it's because in Glasgow they don't pay council tax! :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thank you Pat"5mph", I didn't like to say it myself:ph34r:.

:biggrin:
Actually, I was gonna add "what should Snorri say then?"
I didn't because I was not sure if you where in the thread, it's not polite to talk about people not in the room :angel:

Top Bottom