Took bike out tonight but will have to see the doc before the next time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu9

Not a nice experience, was only out about 5 mins and very hilly, took my time but when I got off I was quite light headed and my eyes weren't right because of it....I suffer labyrinthitis, anxiety, I think low blood pressure and get palpitations so not looking good. I'll phone the doc tomorrow and see what he or she says. I read some stuff on the net saying "light headed when exercising" ,and nearly everything said be very careful and see the doc before anymore. I know exercise its suppose to be good and healthy, but maybe not all the time, see what happens

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Seeing the Doc is a sensible thing

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Light headedness and palpitations are familiar to a lot of contributers on this site. They seem to get it every time they pass a bike shop filled with new stuff. Next time don't tackle the hill keep on the flat and relax a bit.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

It's ok saying don't takle a steep hill but it's where I am, unless I put it in the car and go somewhere, I've no choice....first thing for me though is asking the doc

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Labyrinthitis is a viral infection of the inner ear and nothing to do with anxiety. It is treatable with anti biotics so the obvious thing to do is stay off the bike until it is cured.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

That's true but so far nothing's worked, I was at the local hospital a couple of months to get them checked, also got the epley manoeuvre, I've had it over a year, ear trouble's in the family...I'm falling to bloody bits

Like I said though, I was fine till I got off

Licramite

Über Member
I have an aerotic stenoisis - (knackered heart valve) and can get the same effect, your fine and suddenly I go into a semi-faint as my blood vessels expand to exercise, my blood pressure drops off and the body tells me to lie down - NOW- till I normalise and get my blood pressure back.
What you had sounds a classic to me. - your fine till you stop then the you get a drop in blood pressure.
thats how it started out with me back when I was 28 (many years ago)
If this happens often go see your doc.
It isn't a show stopper, you just have to learn how to exercise within your limits (I used to over exercise and so keal over) You may need to get a heart monitor (polar or garmin) which measurs your heart rate and warns you when your over exercising, thats what I did it was very good it trained me to know when to slow down or stop before my body did it for me.

I had something similar was about 5-10mins into a ride - knew I needed to stop becuase something was not feeling right, stopped and passed out - was out about 3 mins going by the autopause on my garmin. that was 4-5 weeks ago, since then I have been trying to sort the issue. the only thing I have really managed to prove in that time is that I am much better cycling in the afternoon when my BP has increased. My morning BP is getting very low (106/56 pulse 44) but by the afternoon it has risen enough not to cause the same issues. I am back at the Dr's on Firday to review the ECG (all fine) & twice daily BP measurements I have been taking.
Take care and take it easy.

Licramite

Über Member
I think thats allot to do with how warmed up your body is. - I am the same , I'm rubbish in the morning, I need to build up slow.
I'm at my most vunerable at the begining of the season, I'm not 100% and can overstress myself resulting in moments of enforced rest - ussually lying on my back with my legs in the air to get as much blood to the brain quickly.
I find once I've built up to it I can go all day long - in fact I'm often at my best at the end of the ride than the begining.
I would look to geting a heart monitor to warn you when your over stressing.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Saw her today (got a cancellation) said my heart, lungs, np were fine, but wasn't happy at all with my weight (I'm 5 11 and bearly 10st, I'm half a stone to a stone under weight...not good!. Getting blood tests on Wed, but I said how I felt last night when I stopped, she said don't do hills from cold, and to either walk with it uphill or put it in the car and go somewhere flat, at least to start with. But emphasised eating regular and right.

So from now on that's what I'll try and see how it goes

I got a row too....she asked when I last ate, I said this morning about 9 ish, she asked why I didn't have dinner (or lunch as the English call it lol) I said I just didn't bother, the look she gave me....point taken

Licramite

Über Member
yea running on empty can have the same effect - cars don't work without fuel - and nor do you.
make certain before you go on a ride you have eaten and drunk to build up your stocks for the ride.
eat and exercise (I like the turbo trainer as my thrice weekly training)
sounds like your ok just need to build up your strength/endurance
good luck

OP
OP
S

Stu9

I had been eating the night I went out, not a lot but had ate, but I'll need to be careful

Radchenister

Veteran
I had to lay on the kid's trampoline for 30 mins in the summer when I went out on the my MTB for the first time in years, forgetting I'd got middle aged, unfit and generally past It - my self diagnosis was 'you're just knackered mate' (to self). :biggrin:

Lot better now though, gradual and steady improvements following gradual and steady increases in distance and intensity - science fact!

Right, apologies for stating the obvious, now how do you get a job as a GP? Only joking GPs ;).

Top Bottom