Took my daughter on a main road for the first time and some impatient idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sits behind us on his horn. My daughter is good on the roads cycling to school and shops so I thought I'd let her try a main road on a Sunday morning which she had asked to try the road to swimming lessons. We were on a two lane road with me outside her not much further out on the road than primary position. I rode behind and outside her not much further out than primary position. Some idiot decided to come up the inside lane and sit behind us on his horn for what seemed like ages until a gap appeared in the outside lane. I was expecting abuse as he overtook us but he kept his eyes forward and didn't even look at us. My daughter wasn't phased in the slightest and calmly asked why we were being beeped, accepting my answer of impatient. This was obvously a minor incident at worst but it's amazing the difference in how I felt (very angry) compared to not being bothered at all if I'd have been on my own.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
This was obvously a minor incident at worst but it's amazing the difference in how I felt (very angry) compared to not being bothered at all if I'd have been on my own.

It sounds like you did the right thing and your daughter wasn't phased which is never easy in these circumstances. I agree stuff like this can spoil a pleasant ride and I completely empathise- I get this all the time around here where there are loads of tight bends. It's amazing how many drivers can't bear to be slowed down even for a few seconds. I guess they're too busy on their phones or lobbing bottles/ cans / fag packets/ assorted fast food crap out of their windows. Even more amazing how many chose to overtake on blind bends! Anyway- well done on staying calm and hopefully your next ride will be incident free.

Unfortunately, GD, there are too may idiots on the road who can't see further than their own time and importance!

Glad that your daughter was unphased by it, but I'm sure if she rides with you long enough, she'll be very confident and competent (and most likely learn a whole new vocabulary!) .

Apeman

Über Member
Unfortunately bad road behaviour from motorists towards cyclists is now commonplace and we just have to get used to it. No doubt many CCrs are drivers as well and no doubt give ALL cyclists space and consideration when on the road. I have encountered many instances where motorists and in particular,HGV drivers have almost ignored me on the road even though I wear a bright yellow jacket. One in particular felt the power of my usage of invective directed at him through his open window. Another old biddy actually drove round a roundabout parallel to me and steadfastly refused to look at me even though I was speaking very loudly at her!!! All we can do is to try and minimise the dangers by good thoughtful riding. Be careful out there-its a jungle!

This was obvously a minor incident at worst but it's amazing the difference in how I felt (very angry) compared to not being bothered at all if I'd have been on my own.

It sounds like you did the right thing and your daughter wasn't phased which is never easy in these circumstances. I agree stuff like this can spoil a pleasant ride and I completely empathise- I get this all the time around here where there are loads of tight bends. It's amazing how many drivers can't bear to be slowed down even for a few seconds. I guess they're too busy on their phones or lobbing bottles/ cans / fag packets/ assorted fast food crap out of their windows. Even more amazing how many chose to overtake on blind bends! Anyway- well done on staying calm and hopefully your next ride will be incident free.

That just about sums up every one of my rides. 99.99% enjoyable 0.01% idiot to spoil it. Except for today :dry:

Overtaking on blind bends never ceases to amaze me (and going back to my favourite made up statistic) 99.99% of the time the driver gets away with it; unfortunately I was there that 0.01% and rather than having a head on the driver chose to swerve into me :rolleyes:.

GD well done for remaining calm and well done to your daughter too many a kid could have been made uncomfortable by the experience and perhaps lost control of their bike. I can only hope that the driver never saw your daughter and when passing saw her and realised how much of a pr@t they were (bullying a little girl :huh: ) and was too embarrassed to make eye contact and perhaps they won't be so quick on the horn the next time.

PBancroft

Overtaking on blind bends never ceases to amaze me (and going back to my favourite made up statistic) 99.99% of the time the driver gets away with it; unfortunately I was there that 0.01% and rather than having a head on the driver chose to swerve into me :biggrin:.

I was the "other car" yesterday. Driving along a country lane, some idiot coming the other way who thinks a blind corner (with a chevron sign no less) is a great opportunity to overtake a pair of cyclists in primary. I slam on the brakes, and he swerves back in front of the cyclists - as far as I could tell he made no attempt to slow down. Cyclists just look at me and I shake my head sadly before we all go our separate ways.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 1127201"]
A couple of weeks ago, MiniUser76 and I were cycling back through Cheddar, and at the junction of the main road and the market cross, a guy in a people carrier started to nudge out, despite obviously seeing us. I was just going into violent protect mode when MiniUser76 pointed at the driver and shouted 'Oi' at the top of his voice :biggrin:

The guys face was an absolute picture, he backed up and shouted 'sorry mate' out of his window, and was looking really sheepish. I don't reckon he had ever been warned off by a 10 year old boy before xx(

Afterwards I asked MiniM if he was OK, and he said, 'Fine, I just thought he was going to knock me off' It's scary out there, be assertive and stay safe people.
[/quote]

Nice story. Great that MM is learning the ropes fast.

Top Bottom