Tool advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

s-l300.jpg

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 75

GGJ

Veteran
Buy yourself a decent quality 15mm combination spanner for around a fiver and cut the open end off to required length and tidy up with a file. It will outlast any 'bike spanners' on the market

combi.jpg

chopped.jpg

GGJ

Veteran
This is mine, it was an extra in my tool box so chopped to the length required and tidied the end with a file. Just had a look on eBay and 15mm combi spanners start at a couple of pounds

IMG_1326.JPG

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I carry a 6" adjustable. Some 4" adjustables will open wide enough and are lighter but you may struggle with tough nuts.

I use a 1/4" square drive sliding bar and sockets for most things, but some stuff on some bikes like mudguards and brakes is easier with a socket and a wrench.

GGJ

Veteran
If money's no object you could go all trendy and buy yourself a nice Campagnolo 769 'peanut butter' wrench

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Thanks some good stuff and "peanut butter wrench" is possibly the coolest name I've ever heard for anything. Now please excuse my schoolboy ignorance will I need two to tighten the wheel but as in one to hold the left nut whilst I tighten the right etc. Or are they independent ? It's on this wheel and no not the pepper pig trike in the background.

IMG_0007_zpsbrpxafyl.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0007_zpsbrpxafyl.jpg
    IMG_0007_zpsbrpxafyl.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: mjr

Tim Hall

This is mine, it was an extra in my tool box so chopped to the length required and tidied the end with a file. Just had a look on eBay and 15mm combi spanners start at a couple of pounds

View attachment 152726
That's pretty much what I did too. The open end of the donor spanner was banjaxed anyway, having flared out when subject to cruel and unusual punishment. The cut down remains slide neatly into my seat pack along with a spare tube, disposable gloves and multitool.

Top Bottom