Tool kit for building a couple of bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Just looking for a tool kit to build my 2 single speed / fixie projects. I own most tools, such as allen keys, decent socket set. But I don't own many/any specific bike tools. Infact, I do have a Park Tools headset spanner, chain tool but thats about it.

Can anyone recommend a good quality/value all in 1 kit that will do the job, or at least list the tools I will need so I can order them seperately.

I plan to make my own headset tool with a threaded bar, I (think) I will need:

Work stand
ISIS BB tool
Chainring bolt tool
Crank extractor
Hub spanners
Chain whip
Freewheel spanner (4 tooth)
Casette lock ring spanner
Fixed sprocket lock ring spanner
Low range torque wrench (only have one that does 28-210nm)
BB hex nut spanner
BB lock ring spanner
BB cup spanner
Some thread lock and assembly grease.

Anymore anyone can think of? Just want to be prepared for when all the parts arrive.

e-rider

crappy member
You'll not find all these in a complete set unless you go for one of Park Tools expensive sets.

Unfortunately you've just missed the boat with Park Tools as their already high prices increased massively about 2-3 months ago (60-100%!!!) making them insanely expensive now!

You can get one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Workshop_Tool_Kit/5360031531/ which are reasonable I guess and then buy the rest seperately.

Check out 'Ice Toolz' as they are very cheap Taiwanese tools but good enough usually. www.dotbike.com sell them with free P&P. Cyclo and Cyclus also make cheap tools!

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I guess with these tool kits there are things I am paying for that I don't really need. Just need to price up each part separately I think and buy those.

Being new to this I am not 100% sure of what I will need.

MartinC

Über Member
First thing you need is a frame with the BB shell tapped, faced and the threads chased out, the headtube faced and reamed, the fork crown faced and the seat tube reamed. If it's a new frame then you need to rely on the supplier doing this. Sometimes BB threads can be very tight (or have paint in them) so running a tap through them can be useful just before assembly. Tools for all of this are expensive and not really cost effective to have at home. If the frame's been built up before then all of this is probably OK.

Next thing you need are the tools to assemble the major bearings - Headset and BB. Depends on what type they are but it sounds like you've got this covered. A threaded rod should work as a headset press. You'll need to put the crown race on the fork crown. Split ones are easy. Otherwise you need a crown race setter to do this. Carefully drifting it on with a blunt screwdriver works too. You'll need a decent hacksaw to cut the steerer tube to length and a file or too to clean it up afterwards (if it's threaded cut it with the nuts on and use them like a die to tidy up the cut thread). Assuming you're using a threadless headset you'll need a setter to put the star fangled nut into the steerer tube.

The rest are normal bike maintenance tools. I don't see a chain rivet extractor on you list - you'll need to be able to split and maybe rejoin chains. You'll also need a good cable cutter and a pedal spanner. Do you need a BB lock ring and cup spanner - these are for old fashioned cup and cone BB's with loose ball bearings? The lock ring spanner will fit a fixed sprocket lock ring though.

Don't use a multi tool. They're fine for problems on the road but aren't up to the job in a workshop. Buy a good set of ball ended Allen keys and the other tools you need. Park, Cyclus and Tacx (as well as Shimano and Campagnolo) are good makes.

Hope it goes well.

e-rider

crappy member
Buying a full set of tools in one go is always going to be mega expensive.

It would be worth considering getting a local bike shop to do some of the jobs for you - especially stuff that requires expensive tools that will not see much use eg. headset tools, facing and chasing. These tools cost a fortune and typically would only be used a few times at home (per decade!)

e-rider

crappy member
I wouldn't bother with a torque wrench either - just use common sense and look at the recommendations first. If it's a low setting eg. 2-5Nm then take it easy - if it's high 45Nm+ such as BB bearings, then give it some!

tundragumski said:
You'll not find all these in a complete set unless you go for one of Park Tools expensive sets.

Unfortunately you've just missed the boat with Park Tools as their already high prices increased massively about 2-3 months ago (60-100%!!!) making them insanely expensive now!

If you can get it posted from the States (from Amazon.com), the Park Tools AK 37 costs £148 (plus shipping). Evans do the very same for £349! :rolleyes:

I'd have one for £148 if I could get it sent over.

Anyone interested?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I would be interested, you can actually get that one in the UK for around £250 but its still a saving. I'm suprised it doesn't have any headset spanners in there.

Top Bottom