Toolkit for a novice cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
I've just ordered a new bike for Mrs. Annirak; a Giant Cypress City W. She hasn't been on a bike much in 10 years. I've been thinking of picking up some kind of tool kit for her--at least enough to change a tube if she were to get a puncture. Any recommendations for the novice cyclist?

I think that a pump with a gauge would be a good idea. Tyre levers and a spare tube would be the rest of the kit. Is there anything else to add?

screenman

Legendary Member
I use a CO2 pump, quicker than a normal one. Also always 2 spare tubes for me.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I don't know if CO2 will have the capacity to fill a 38mm tyre.

Basically, all that is needed to deal with punctures is: Spare tube, patch kit, 2 tyre levers, mini pump

First option is just replace the tube, it's quicker and you can repair the punctured one when you get back home.:thumbsup:

chrisuren

All you really need is a basic puncture kit, typically this will consist of

2x Plastic tyre leavers
a strip of 3 patches
some kind of superglue
Rubber compound
Chalk

I'd also advise taking 2 spare tubes with you, some money (just in case you've done something mechanically to the bike, for example, snaping the brake cable or chain) and a good quality pump (Can't stress good quality enough, NOTHING is more annoying than finding out your pump isn't up to the job of pumping your tyre up)

Some people swear by CO2 cartridges instead of a pump, while they are good for saving space on your bike (and if you're ultra compact you could argue they're lighter than the pump) but at £20 a throw they're really not for everyone.

A tool kit is only as good as the user..... or the mug cyclist you managed to flag down

I would agree with the small pump, a pair of levers and a couple of tubes

After that it depends upon the bike and your skills

Are your wheels quick release - if not you will need to add a spanner to remove the wheels

If you are happy making running adjustments then a couple of allen keys to allow you to do this

Would you repair a chain...then a chain tool might be added

The most compact answer is a "multi tool" from a simple one to a comprehensive one

topeak_mini6_multi_tool.jpg

Screen-shot-2010-09-12-at-10.46.39-PM.png

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I already have a tool kit on my bike... I don't think Mrs. Annirak wants to make running adjustments, so it's more a matter of emergency recovery.

If she had some kind of catastrophic failure, I think she'd rather phone for a lift. For minor adjustments, I'll probably do most of them.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Speaking as a girl, all you need is:-
  • CO2 dispenser/cartridge
  • spare tube
  • 3 tyre levers
  • multitool (even if she doesn't know what to do with it, someone else might, and anything more than tightening a screw, well it just ain't worth attempting to do it at the side of the road.)

it is quicker and easier to change a tube than mend it with a sticker (personally, i am NOT gonna sit on the side of a road and find a teeny hole to put a sticker on it. i can mend it at home and keep it as a spare.
it is quicker and easier to pump up a tyre with a canister than a pump (particularly if the tyre is high pressure and your mrs is not used to pumping iron)

(we like quick and easy)

by a CO2 dispenser that doubles as a pump in case she accidently dispenses the cartridge.

if she has never changed a tyre before... show her once, then make her do it twice. That should suffice.

o yea, and tell her to carry a mobile phone.

screenman

Legendary Member
All you really need is a basic puncture kit, typically this will consist of

2x Plastic tyre leavers
a strip of 3 patches
some kind of superglue
Rubber compound
Chalk

I'd also advise taking 2 spare tubes with you, some money (just in case you've done something mechanically to the bike, for example, snaping the brake cable or chain) and a good quality pump (Can't stress good quality enough, NOTHING is more annoying than finding out your pump isn't up to the job of pumping your tyre up)

Some people swear by CO2 cartridges instead of a pump, while they are good for saving space on your bike (and if you're ultra compact you could argue they're lighter than the pump) but at £20 a throw they're really not for everyone.

You maybe a little out of touch with your prices there, I paid a lot less for mine.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
@buggi, thanks for the insight.

I don't know if Mrs. Annirak will want to get into bike maintenance or not, though she's perfectly capable of doing it if she wants to. So, a multi tool is probably a good idea, both because Mrs. Annirak might use it and because someone else might.

The baby wipes are a good idea.

For pumps, I'm split between something like the Topeak morph and a hybrid co2/pump inflator like this one: http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-cfh-pressdrivecfh.php

Top Bottom