Toolkit for a novice cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Inner tube.
Mini pump. (I highly recommend Topeak pocket rocket, it locks on well and gets the requisite air in very easily)
2 park tools tyre levers - damn near indestructible.
A couple of self adhesive patches.
Latex gloves.
For more than punctures:
Zip ties, spare batteries, chain link, multi tool, mini pliers, universal gear/brake cable. Enough to get going from most common mechanicals.

KneesUp

Guru
Surely no-one is in so much of a rush that on the rare occasion they get a puncture they haven't time to pump the tyre by hand? Co2 seems a lot like overkill. Isn't cycling supposed to be good for the environment?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Inner tube.
Mini pump. (I highly recommend Topeak pocket rocket, it locks on well and gets the requisite air in very easily)
2 park tools tyre levers - damn near indestructible.
A couple of self adhesive patches.
Latex gloves.
For more than punctures:
Zip ties, spare batteries, chain link, multi tool, mini pliers, universal gear/brake cable. Enough to get going from most common mechanicals.
Didn't you forget the bike stand and the wheel-truing jig?

buggi

Bird Saviour
@buggi, thanks for the insight.

I don't know if Mrs. Annirak will want to get into bike maintenance or not, though she's perfectly capable of doing it if she wants to. So, a multi tool is probably a good idea, both because Mrs. Annirak might use it and because someone else might.

The baby wipes are a good idea.

For pumps, I'm split between something like the Topeak morph and a hybrid co2/pump inflator like this one: http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-cfh-pressdrivecfh.php
That looks like the sort of thing she needs.

Latex gloves, is another must have in my bike kit.
... I thought that's why cycle shorts were black... To wipe your hands on :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Latex gloves split within about ten seconds if you are changing a tyre or taking off a wheel in a hurry.. Besides, they get impossibly sweaty even in mild weather.
Just stick some BabyWipes in a ZipLock plastic bag instead, if you must.

screenman

Legendary Member
Latex gloves split within about ten seconds if you are changing a tyre or taking off a wheel in a hurry.. Besides, they get impossibly sweaty even in mild weather.
Just stick some BabyWipes in a ZipLock plastic bag instead, if you must.

My ones do not split, a bit if sweat I can put up with.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My bike shop gets NHS gloves, might be neoprene.

The mechanic told me yesterday - as he bunged me a few pairs - that a pair can last him most of the day.

screenman

Legendary Member
The one's I use are latex, same as the mechanics in the garages wear, they are of a good quality but still only £3.70 for a box.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
rubber gloves.jpeg
My ones do not split, a bit if sweat I can put up with.
These ones?

young Ed

Veteran
We need input from @young Ed - he will have some for shoving up a cow's backside.
nah, we get a proper trained vet to fist the cows! he uses these though
a2075_gloves.jpg

they go up to about the shoulder. you can even get them in different colours! anyone want an ebay link
AI+Cattle.jpg

4012220688_be223cbc35.jpg
you can see in her right hand what they stick up the cows lady parts
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
nah, we get a proper trained vet to fist the cows! he uses these though
a2075_gloves.jpg

they go up to about the shoulder. you can even get them in different colours! anyone want an ebay link
AI+Cattle.jpg

4012220688_be223cbc35.jpg

you can see in her right hand what they stick up the cows lady parts
Cheers Ed

Nicely comprehensive reply, although I'm not sure everyone will appreciate the photos this early in the morning.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
shouldn't be on technology before breakfast should they!
i'll hide them because i'm just that nice :smile:
Cheers Ed

No need, I was only joking.

Members can still see the other pics if they click on the pic in my reply in Post 28.

Which also illustrates that once you put something on the internet, there is no getting it back.

Edit: Just seen you've done a spoiler, very clever, your grasp of computers is much firmer than mine.

Top Bottom