Tools to carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

So, I've been paranoid that I'll get a fault while Im miles away from home so I've been taking a backpack out with me with a really heavy adjustable spanner with me!..also a spare inner tube, tyre levers and mini pump.

What should I take?..... and I assume theres a better option than the big bloody heavy adjustable spanner!

DEFENDER01

Über Member
What should I take?..... and I assume theres a better option than the big bloody heavy adjustable spanner!
A mobile phone and someone the other end with a vehicle to collect you and bike. :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
well I'd swap the really heavy adjustable for a small light one. Not taking the pish, as I'm assuming the heavy one is 10" or 12" rather than a more handy 4" or whatever. Or replace all the hex headed screws on the bike with cap screws (allen key fitting) then a small multi tool may suffice. I did this on my old bike.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I carry four allen keys (there's only four sizes on the bike), two tyre levers, a chain tool, a few instant patches (all in a very small bag not much bigger than a credit card), a pump and an inner tube. No need for a spanner since the only nut is on the headset, and i ain't gonna carry headset spanners. I've never needed the 8mm crank key or the chain tool, although the 8mm key does come in handy at work occasionally. Cant recall the last time i had a roadside puncture either, or if i've ever needed the other allen keys (although a lad at work needed one today).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would ditch the spanner, unless you have a nutted axle - in that case there are smaller ones to be had - add another inner or patches, make sure the mini pump actually works, even better get a mini track pump.
A bit heavier, but lighter than a big spanner.

Alan O

Über Member
I carry an adjustable spanner (I have wheel nuts), but it's a smaller 6-inch Eclipse one. (I'd never carry one of those cheap standard-shaped ones, not since I had the screw-threads break off one once)

Oh, and inner tube, puncture repair kit, mini-pump, tyre levers, and knowledge of where the nearest rail stations are.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Presumably you don't have QR wheels, hence the spanner. I'd get a smaller one.
Get yourself a small saddle bag and put everything in there.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Either a small adjustable, a dog-bone spanner or whatever size you need for your bike.
Although it's not tricky to patch a tube while the tyre is still on, for the most part.
Multitool.
Tyre levers.
Glueless patches. And a spare tube.
Road / Mountain Morph pump.
The saddlebag with toolkit that Aldi do every so often is perfect, and the tools fit in the frame tube of a Brompton.

pawl

Legendary Member
If you have wheel nuts can you still get those dumbbell spaners of yester year.

They were about 4 inches long with four nut sizes each end only problem in this day age they were imperial sizes

Tynan

Veteran
2 tubes and tyre levers and a pump that works

repair kit in case

multitool that fits whatever fittings you have

a section of an old tyre, aka a boot, in case you damage the tyre

that's all I've ever carried on commutes and some very long audaxes

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

They were about 4 inches long with four nut sizes each end only problem in this day age they were imperial sizes
You can and they're still shoot that cracks trying to undo a wheel nut.

Bluespot 4" adjustable will open to 15mm. Make sure you use it carefully (push with the tip of the fixed jaw, base of the moving one, and check it's tight). Almost all 6" adjustables will open enough but weigh double.

I also carry ¼" driver, 10mm (hub brakes), 12mm (pedals) and 14mm (cranks) sockets, hex adapter and various hex and screwdriver bits (no heavy bulky flick keys for me!), Park CT-5 chain tool (Topeak Super Tool is better but not by enough that I'll switch), quick links, nitrile gloves, tyre levers, patches, cable ties, all in a brush roll, plus 120psi telescoping mini pump and Zefal Z-Hoze (a gauged mini pump and ordinary extension hose would be better but not by enough that I'll switch).

Edited to correct spanner brand name. And again to elaborate the "carefully" comment.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Buy a saddle bag. I've got a Topeak Aero one, but many, many other makes are available*.

Into this put:
Decent multi-tool*
Two spare tubes
Set of decent tyre levers*
A pack of Scabs (or similar instant patches)*
A small spanner* (if you don't have QR wheels)
You should also have room to squeeze in a pair of disposable gloves to keep your hands clean.

On the bike, fix a decent mini-pump (I've got a Topeak Road Rocket*) - or you could go for CO2 instead.

You're now covered for 99% of eventualities, the remaining 1% of which can be covered off by a mobile phone and a credit / debit card which will easily fit in your pocket.

You can now ditch the rucksack. :okay:

* - there are nearly as many brands of these items to choose from as are there are opinions which are the best. I've got Topeak for most which I find are good quality at a sensible price. Some people like Lezyne, some Park Tools. To be fair, you won't go wrong with any of those three brands. Someone will be along shortly to recommend something different...:laugh:

One final bit of advice, if it's been a while since you've fixed a flat spend a comfortable hour at home practicing what you'll need to do. Getting the process right in your head here will pay huge dividends out in the sticks...

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Mmm, I think the main problem with those dumbell spanners was that they were made of some kind of metallic looking cheese. Being imperial-sized is pretty moot once the hole is rounded off.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To the OP, I recommend Bahco if buying a small adjustable. They invented this type of spanner and are not too expensive in smaller sizes. My 18" incher was maybe £50 reduced from well over a hundred, but you'd not want to carry that

Top Bottom