Tools to carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Re spanners - The only need I have for a spanner is for the mudguard fittings on one of my bikes. The three others are exclusively hex sockets
I'm surprised if you've three bikes with wheels held on by hex sockets rather than nuts or Quick Robbery levers as I think I've only ever seen one.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm surprised if you've three bikes with wheels held on by hex sockets rather than nuts or Quick Robbery levers as I think I've only ever seen one.
Ah yes - wrong use of the word 'exclusively'. Perhaps I should have said 'exclusively except for the wheels, which have quick release skewers and levers'. Four bikes actually. Do many bikes actually have nutted axles nowadays, other than fixed? I know they used to be quite common - I don't know anyone with one - I would have thought QR was pretty much the norm, I've had them on my bikes since the early 1960s .......... ;)

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Do many bikes actually have nutted axles nowadays, other than fixed?
I've bikes from 1991, 2009, 2011 and 2012ish with nutted axles. Only the 1983 road bike is QR. I think QR is mainly a road bike thing, which has been slowly creeping into more and more hybrids and neighbouring types due to inappropriate love for all things roadie-like in most magazine reviews.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I obviously caught the 'inappropriate' bug a long time ago - not through magazines either I hasten to add, QRs are jolly handy though.

mjr

I obviously caught the 'inappropriate' bug a long time ago - not through magazines either I hasten to add, QRs are jolly handy though.
QRs are great on bikes where you need bits off quickly sometimes. They're a bit of a nuisance on bikes which are going to get parked in town centres and stuff like that because each one makes another component into a must-lock bit.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Ah yes - wrong use of the word 'exclusively'. Perhaps I should have said 'exclusively except for the wheels, which have quick release skewers and levers'. Four bikes actually. Do many bikes actually have nutted axles nowadays, other than fixed? I know they used to be quite common - I don't know anyone with one - I would have thought QR was pretty much the norm, I've had them on my bikes since the early 1960s .......... ;)
I have come across some Apollo hybrids with nuts recently. Presumably common on low cost bikes.

jbw57

Saddle bag with:

2 tire irons
Tire patches or tube or both
Multi-tool
A couple of band aids
A couple of wet wipes (towelettes)
Air pump attached to water bottle cage

Sharky

Guru
As few tools as possible, but if I've been doing a special maintenance job the night before, I always take any special tools that I used for the job with me for the next few rides.

Also worth noting, that if you don't have that large allen key with you, you can put two smaller ones together. A 3mm used with a 5mm can substitute for an 8mm one.

Top Bottom