Top gear ...North Pole and stuff like that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...jus tfinished watching Top gear tonight...absolutly brilliant! North pole in a 4x4 vs the dog sled....personally I would have chosen the sled ...but either way what a day job!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Completely rigged tosh using tax payers money to support Clarkson's hypothesis that cars are great and global warming is bollocks.

Alan Biles

I thought it was really good entertainment but the tree-huggers and anti-Clarkson-because-he's-Clarkson brigade will have a field day with it.

Watch this space!

Alan

MsMalfoy

Alan Biles said:
I thought it was really good entertainment but the tree-huggers and anti-Clarkson-because-he's-Clarkson brigade will have a field day with it.

Watch this space!

Alan

My thoughts exactly.

I guess they had to try to take a car to the Pole before they finally help melt the rest of it.

I do love Clarkson, May and Hammond though, Captain Slow's idea of polar exploration, Fortnum's hamper and gin and tonic included gets my vote.

Neither I nor my o/h drive or have ever owned a car but Top Gear is still one of our fave shows.

LLB

MsMalfoy said:
My thoughts exactly.

I guess they had to try to take a car to the Pole before they finally help melt the rest of it.

I do love Clarkson, May and Hammond though, Captain Slow's idea of polar exploration, Fortnum's hamper and gin and tonic included gets my vote.

Neither I nor my o/h drive or have ever owned a car but Top Gear is still one of our fave shows.

Could that be because it is goes far beyond the cars. At the end of the day, it has to be good entertainment - which at the end of the day it is :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...now had they done it on a bike that would have been impressive!

...also I reckon they should have learned how to put up that tent in the garden before they got to the Arctic.
...Brilliant tv

Brock

I detest the way it's contrived, scripted and engineered to look spontaneous and exciting, when it's clearly just a poorly staged heavily edited sitcom.

I did like the one where they set fire to a caravan after a 'hilarious' string of slapstick caravan based misadventure, but only because it pissed off my tedious caravanning colleague.

Generally though, I'd rather watch my own anus in a mirror for half an hour.

Cab

Tim Bennet. said:
Completely rigged tosh using tax payers money to support Clarkson's hypothesis that cars are great and global warming is bollocks.

While I agree that the show is crap beyond the point of being funny, what reasons do you have for saying these challenges are being rigged?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Of course they're flippin' rigged! It's all done for maximum entertainment, same as all the other shite on TV.

Funny though. I was out cycling so I missed it.

Cab

I must say, I think that Top Gear is about as funny as tooth ache. Why do people laugh at those self absorbed penises?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I agree. It's great entertainment, but spoiled by the knowledge that it's completely set up.

The caravan exploding, the car always just winning. It's just too contrived.

Yeah, I found myself thinking "well, it's all set up". They made it quite clear how much help and backup they had, and I find myself wondering just what proof we have that they actually got to the pole.

Still laughed though. Despite the environmental vandalism (I'm not thinking of CO2 here, but the physical damage to the ice, the fuel spillage etc), the crass incompetence (although I'm sure that's a bit of an act), the drink-driving (although I suspect they actually only sipped it for the camera, rather than actually glugging back gin while driving) and the glib anti-climate change remark at the end, I giggled at the hamper, the chablis, the gin and tonic, Clarkson sticking a metal nut to his lip, the "eat lots of chocolate despite the fact we're driving" theory... Oh, and the tow bar mounted toilet seat...:thumbsup:

Brock said "I detest the way it's contrived, scripted and engineered to look spontaneous and exciting, when it's clearly just a poorly staged heavily edited sitcom."

That's just it. For me, it is now a sitcom, and makes me laugh more than a lot of programmes actually billed as comedies... I'd rather watch the show like that than the version diluted with all the tedious fast car stuff... Although that runs the risk of getting very stale.

And of course, The Hamster's admission that he was so tired he had a little cry while skiing, and it froze up the inside of his goggles, well, that just made me want to mother him even more. Well, maybe not 'mother', exactly...:thumbsup:

Peyote

Cab said:
I must say, I think that Top Gear is about as funny as tooth ache. Why do people laugh at those self absorbed penises?

I agree completely Cab, but then I'm one of the people who see Carry on Films and Morcambe and Wise in the same bracket!

Mr Phoebus

TG once had a downhill race between a MTB and a car through some European town, the bike won. :thumbsup::becool:
Now if only Clarkson had quipped "If that bike wins, I'll eat the tyres"

Top Bottom