Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I'm fed up with Top Gear too. The funny thing is, the whole family now watches it, including my wife and daughter!

The annoying thing is that Fifth Gear is crap too. I hate Vicky, the fat bloke and that skinny guy who looks like he should be working in ASDA.

peanut

thank god for Top Gear .

Some nights its the only thing on worth watching for men. TV these days means mindless drivel for the masses (mostly for women) like Big Brother and celeb something or other and all the soapy drivel yuk all I can say is `get me out of there'

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
peanut said:
thank god for Top Gear .

Some nights its the only thing on worth watching for men. TV these days means mindless drivel for the masses (mostly for women) like Big Brother and celeb something or other and all the soapy drivel yuk all I can say is `get me out of there'

are you a celebrity, peanut? :tongue:

strofiwimple

Veteran
Sorry but i have never got the 'boys with their toys' thing, i have a 1.0 very slow ford fiesta which has got me up and down the country for years, it will do the maximum speed (and a bit more !!) i admit to sometimes getting a tad frustrated on the A66 when i havent got the 'oomph' to pass a lorry on a hill but hey ho i get them on the next one.
As the lady lying panting said 'speed isnt everything'

LLB

strofiwimple said:
Sorry but i have never got the 'boys with their toys' thing, i have a 1.0 very slow ford fiesta which has got me up and down the country for years, it will do the maximum speed (and a bit more !!) i admit to sometimes getting a tad frustrated on the A66 when i havent got the 'oomph' to pass a lorry on a hill but hey ho i get them on the next one.
As the lady lying panting said 'speed isnt everything'

If you think that this is the format of the series, you obviously haven't watched any of them.

My OH couldn't sit through an episode of fifth gear, but will happily watch TG - why, because it is far more than just the cars. The cars for the theme, but that is as far as it goes. It is pure entertainment wi9th heavy emphasis on comedy, and the nerdy number spouting which goes on in the other car programs is non existent in the new format of the show.

dudi

come on... how many peole actually seriously watch the show for the car reviews?

I mean, it's not often someone turns on the BBC for a bit of help deciding whether to buy the Aston DB9 or stick to what they know and buy another koenigsegg.

the car info is all just fantasy anyway, they rarely review cars like the Audi A4, you know. something you might actually find useful as you may one day buy something like that.

I think top gear is great, it's not a serious programme by any means. but it is entertaining. more so than 'celebrity tanning salon' or some other mindlessly dull show.

Mr Pig

dudi said:
I mean, it's not often someone turns on the BBC for a bit of help deciding whether to buy the Aston DB9 or buy another koenigsegg.

But don't you get it? That's why the show is a global success.

Bread and butter cars are different from one country to the next. Although popular cars are sold in many different countries the prices, specifications and even their names and styling is usually different. So a revue of the latest Mondeo is not very relevant to someone in Japan!

High-end cars are, more or less, the same all over the world. If someone in Dubai or Dudley wants to see a koenigsegg in action they can watch Top Good and see pretty much the same car that will be for sale in their country. Whether they are a potential buyer or just a car buff/nerd/child the program is still relevant to them.

This is one of the main reasons Top Gear has a global audience. Car makers know this which is why they get the best cars in the world to play with. Add the high production values Top Gear apply to all of their high-end car features and it's great global advertising for them. They'll get given massively expensive cars to thrash across countries, spin around on the beach or basically do what they want with. By contrast if Fifth Gear want to drive a new Ferrari they'll need to go to Maranello where they'll get a couple of laps around the track and if they're luck a pootle around the town!

It was very clever, and the fact that other car shows are hamstrung by advertising makes it very hard to copy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I didn't think the finale was the funniest thing they've ever done (although I loved the sheer joy on all their faces when they were in the Spitfires - no doubt that was real, and how I'd feel myself I think), but I loved the line "Jeremy! My arm's come off!":biggrin:

I think the amphibious cars (both attempts) was probably my favourtie, or the African one, partly for seeming The Hampster name his car Oliver and fall in love with it....:smile: I know of at least one teenage boy who's christened his first car Oliver too....

Smeggers

I think its got a little too staged over the last series. Mebbe its me getting more cynical with age. I blame this forum! :blush:

galaxy1

so was the german version of top gear a real show? wouldn't mind seeing an episode of that

Top Bottom