Top peak Pannier owners help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I am planning on going touring in a month and am thinking my MTX trunkbag isn't big enough.

I have a toppeak rack with their special quicktrac system and as I havent had a rack of any sort before I don't know how compatible it is with other panniers, can you use normal panniers with it or do I have to use toppeak bags?

Thanks in advance

I am planning on going touring in a month and am thinking my MTX trunkbag isn't big enough.

I have a toppeak rack with their special quicktrac system and as I havent had a rack of any sort before I don't know how compatible it is with other panniers, can you use normal panniers with it or do I have to use toppeak bags?

Thanks in advance

I've got the Topeak rack as well and it takes normal Panniers the same as a regular rack will

Simon

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I've got the Topeak rack as well and it takes normal Panniers the same as a regular rack will

Simon
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know :smile: I wondered if the springy thing was an integral part of it :biggrin: now I need to pick panniers

Norm

Be careful, inertia. The Topeak load limit is only 9kgs. That should be enough to carry most things that you can fit inside their 12l purpose-built bags but you could very easily blow that three times over with a 38l pair of panniers. The panniers themselves weigh 1.5kg, which is 1/6th of the capacity.

I hope you've got the side rails on the MTX rack too, or any panniers will get into the back wheel very quickly.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Be careful, inertia. The Topeak load limit is only 9kgs. That should be enough to carry most things that you can fit inside their 12l purpose-built bags but you could very easily blow that three times over with a 38l pair of panniers. The panniers themselves weigh 1.5kg, which is 1/6th of the capacity.

I hope you've got the side rails on the MTX rack too, or any panniers will get into the back wheel very quickly.
uh oh, now you got me worried! mine is this one http://www.topeak.co...ubularRack_disc

Edit, looking at it do you mean the beamracks? they are 9kgs only http://www.topeak.co...XBeamRackE-Type. My fault, think I miss id'd my bag
blush.gif

Norm

Edit, looking at it do you mean the beamracks? they are 9kgs only http://www.topeak.co...XBeamRackE-Type. My fault, think I miss id'd my bag
blush.gif
Yes, indeed I did make the mistake of thinking you had the beam rack. You said the bag was an MTX trunk bag, so I thought you had the MTX rather than the DX rack. Ignore everything I wrote.

Actually, "ignore everything I write" should probably appear in my sig line somewhere. :whistle: :biggrin:

Norm i think your thinking of the seat post mounted racks ?
Indeed I was. Thanks. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Yes, indeed I did make the mistake of thinking you had the beam rack. You said the bag was an MTX trunk bag, so I thought you had the MTX rather than the DX rack. Ignore everything I wrote.

Actually, "ignore everything I write" should probably appear in my sig line somewhere. :whistle: :biggrin:

No way ! :biggrin: thanks for your help

I like the ones you posted Muddfyfox but as I sometimes ride in torrential rain Im thinking of spending the bit (lot) extra to get some fully waterproof ones. Im looking at these Vaude ones and these Ortleib ones who I know have a good rep. Time to find some reviews :biggrin:

Inertia .. if you can afford the more expensive panniers then go for it experience will tell you that you get what you pay for these days, i was on a budget as i need to buy all of my camping kit as well and at worst i will line the panniers with bin bags if they leak /

Simon

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Inertia .. if you can afford the more expensive panniers then go for it experience will tell you that you get what you pay for these days, i was on a budget as i need to buy all of my camping kit as well and at worst i will line the panniers with bin bags if they leak /

Simon
Thanks for the advice, I am on a budget but I think the bags are worth the extra cash on this occasion and I will try and save the money on other things. Im going touring for a week next month so Ive spent the extra to get the ortleib ones, hopefully they will arrive soon :smile:

Top Bottom