Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

Don't get to Paris late at night, then cycle out of the City south wanting to get most of the way through the 'burbs before you get your head down on a nice secluded patch of ground.

Or you might find that you're actually dossing in your bivi on the edge of a municipal rubbish dump that you didn't see in the dark, and now look like your verily have pox my liege having had your face and neck and anything else that was outside the bag coz it was a warm evening feasted upon all night by all the cretinous wee bistards that live in the shite.

And then itch like a git for 3 days, especially when you sweat and get the sun on it. Which is all the time.

canadiense

I read through the whole list and had a blast. You've got to love British humour. I don't have a lot to add but I will make a few comments.

1. Eat where the locals eat. Choose a busy restaurant and order what looks good and fresh.
2. Wrap your duct tape around your seat post and take lots of it. It is amazing how often you have a use for it and then it is always available.(see photo)
3. Carry a couple of hose clamps that will fit rack tubing i.e. the small ones. They can be used very effectively for rack repairs. We used the aluminum from a coke can across a weld break which worked well. I understand that it is still working and is now on LEJOG.
4. Carry some zip ties, twine, wire and an old inner tube to cut up for all sorts of repairs. Just add some ingenuity and you will be able to keep going.
5. Add a bottle carrier to your stem. Hydration is always a problem for me but having it in your face, readily at hand seemed to work. I just used two zip ties and some cut up inner tube to act as a shock absorber. (see photo)
6. Use straps in place of bungie cords. They are more secure and won't snap back on you or take out an eye.
7. Do not limit yourself to asking blondes in miniskirts for directions or points of interest. Brunettes and red heads in miniskirts can definitely get you where you want to go . . . too.
8. When in a non-English speaking country ask a teenager. They all seem to speak some English and often they like to practice. Don't be intimidated by appearance or dress as that is usually just fashion. It is amazing how an unsmiling, unapproachable looking youth will light up if you ask for their help.

If on the other hand they are carrying weapons (knives, sticks, rocks, guns, rocket launchers) and are speaking very quickly in a loud voice and saying something to you over and over - give that a miss and move on, avoiding eye contact.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In rural areas sheep on the road / verge always run in the opposite direction to which they are facing! Shout from about 30 feet away to avoid collisons.

Recently I found a vacu-seal travel bag in Dunelm Mill. About the size of a pillow case, made from strong polythene, with a full width seal at one end and a valved nozzle at the other. Lay your clothes inside, close the seal, open the nozzle and roll or fold up to a size that fits your bag/ pannier, then kneel on the bag to finally expel all the air. It has three benefits, reduces the volume of your clothing, keeps it crease free (don't know why!) and provides an extra layer of waterproofing.

I only know vacu-seal for their food bags and can't find any link on the web. However definetley stocked by Dunelm Mill. I bought three and very successfully used one on my tour last Sunday to Wednesday with great results.

ataction

Spring and early summers is the season of for very large Mechanized Self Propelled Forage Harvesters in North Devon. When operated by contractors they move very fast from one job to the next, forage harvesters have sharp pointy bits sticking out the front and are slightly wider than most Devon lanes. If you see or hear one coming hurl yourself and bike over the nearest gate. If there are no handy gateways, then the hedge; stinging nettles, brambles and thorns are preferable to otherwise certain death.

beachcaster

CycleTourer said:
Got this from a Swiss guy we met touring in Norway last year who said that a Dutch guy told him this tip.

Carry a chopstick with you, very useful to get your chain back on without getting your hands covered in oil!

chopstick.jpg

Used it a couple of times and it works a treat.

Also found it useful for cleaning the mud out of your cleats and moving a washing up greeny around in the bottom of a flask to remove the accumulated grolly snot.

I'm sure there are other uses that you lot could dream up! :evil:

How about eating chinese food??

Just a thought.and even easier with two !

dragon72

Guru
When washing clothes in campsites, where plugs are never there, sometimes a sock just doesn't do the trick of plugging the drain, so either invest in a rubber drain plug, available from most good rubber drain plug retailers, or use a lid from a yoghurt pot to stop the water draining away while you're rinsing your undies.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've just read this on a good website:

Clip a tiny led torch inside your tent, one that can be rolled up inside it, so it's always in place (and you know where to reach for it....) Obviously, it needs to be one that won't get switched on by accident.

Found here - this kept me engrossed for ages....

http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/

petenats

If you get caught in a downpour and decide to put on waterproof overtrousers, first put your foot in a plastic carrier bag...it makes it soooo much easier to slide it through your proofs snag free!

Klingons!

+1 to the most recent post about plastic clips that form a "moveable eyelet" on tarps or tents. I bought some called "Klingons" from local camping shop. £5 for 4 of them and they work in all sorts of weather conditions. Well worth carrying a couple....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Carry a normal face flannel, obviously very useful for washing but also good for drying yourself after a shower. The flannel is easy to wring out, dries very quickly and not as bulky as a travel towel

Arch

Married to Night Train
porteous said:
Half a squash ball weighs almost nothing and makes an excellent substitute for a (missing) sink or bath plug

Excellent, and if you meet someone like-minded along the way, you can have a game of squash....:smile:

Top Bottom