Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I can see that but it is easy to form the habit of taking the bar bag with you if the bike is going to be out of your sight for more than a second. It's not as if the fittings are laborious: Rixen-Kaul clickfix or velcro or similar

absolutly, I never go anywhere without the barbag, I even take shower with it (we are close like that)...but one day i will forget, or get mugged and then I still have plan B

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
And most bar bags even come with a shoulder strap for carting them around, at the least the one I've got from Vaude does, although you've got to be careful to avoid looking a bit camp.

Notsoblue

Ortlieb bar bags come with a lock to fix them to the bike. You can't lock it closed but at least it prevents it from being snatched.

Jitendrakumar

just do it

Hi

Well today’s bikes is really unique feature and issues of Road bikes. . Every one wants to go on tour of whole world with the help of such bikes. It will be such a great experience for one who does this.

jitendra kumar

Capture One Auto Transport

hackbike 6

I have carried a map and compass.Compass came in useful yesterday as I got lost yet again.

One thing I was desperate for and managed to acquire yesterday was allen keys.

I have carried a Fenix and also another front penlight sort LED as well as an LED Lenser,all secured to the handlebars with a lockblock.Also carried LED rear lights and spare batteries.I have an Evans rucksack.Got flashed by two cars yesterday so had to dip the Fenix.

Watch it if you are going down market streets with rucksacks,I have a distinct impression people have been trying to pick mine although all it had in the back pockets of the rucksack was an LED rear light/Parker Pen and some loose British Change.

Im going down there again today,taken everything out the back pockets to see if it happens again.At least I may do.Want to get some socks.

inaperfectworld

sounds daft but i take a small folding unbrella: i've sheltered under it when the rain has terrifically pelted down and there's no cover anywhere else (the sort of rain when you can't ride because you can't see properly), and i've been glad of it to walk to a restaurant in the evening more than once

tapan

I never travel anywhere without --

String -- on a bobbin of somekind not in a ball
Insulating tape -- repairs and holds together so many things.
Saftey pins -- of various sizes all looped together at the bottom of my bar bag. multi purpose tools!

This sounds obvious but..........
Dont just cycle the distance, stop and enjoy!
Have done of this before and regretted it. Started looking at daily averages instead of all thats around. Better to be slow and see everything, than fast see nothing.

RussellEngland

Some great tips!

I would also recommend using lots of ziploc bags for food/clothing/tools/etc - they are really cheap on eBay. A TurboFlame lighter http://www.turboflame.co.uk/ - can be used at any angle without singing your fingers and has a lock so it can be left on. A Trangia spirit cooker http://www.trangia.se/english/ - boils a kettle of water very quickly and no complex bits to go wrong.

And I like to use a GPS to record my route when walking, I never use it as a guide, I just like maps, other than for geocaching. But the battery life is really poor so would be useless for a long trip. However, I recently discovered the SPOT which tracks your lat+long every 10 minutes, uses 2 AA rechargeable batteries which last 14 days - http://www.findmespot.eu/en - haven't bought one yet but intend to.

I'm an experienced camper but haven't done a lot... er... any cycle touring... other than a week down the Rhine 5 years ago

I love walking and wild camping but want to be able to move a little quicker and tour Europe this Summer 2009, maybe for a couple of months. So opted for cycle touring. I'm not entirely sure what bicycle equipment to take though.

I've traded in a mountain bike for a Dawes Sahara with bull bars (I couldn't stretch to a Dawes Galaxy) and bought a pair of waterproof Altura 56 litre panniers. I've got a spare set of Dr Sludge tubes, puncture repair kit (no idea how to use it!), tyre levers, bicycle multi-tool, lamps, pump, cable lock and bungee cords. Anything else I should take for the bicycle? Its a new experience for me and really looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll learn from mistakes along the way :biggrin:

Cheers

Russ

mistermark

Über Member
spindrift said:
Blimey, when I'm on a tour I'm on holiday, it's not an endurance test!

A sharp knife means as soon as you get to a grocers you can stock up and do doorstep.........
I read that as stick up - as in stick up the grocers for crisps and pop.. and thought it was going on to say doorstep robberies! haha ;):laugh::biggrin:

Hi you lot.
I have been in tears laughing at some of the 'Essential' items to take on a tour. BTFB had me splitting me sides.
On a serious note, Thank you all for the comments of this to take, I am doing my 1st European Tour From Ijmagen to Roermond and back, next month straight after C2C return, i will be using a ORBEA Sherpa with twin rear 40ltr panniers and a Mule trailor, wild camping on my own with most of the gear in Mule, is a Bar bag essential?
If ANY one can give me some other ideas plz E-mail: aurac59@o2.co.uk Sms Txt or call 07763732206. I live just outside Sunderland.
What is the best Sat-Nav for Europe? I was just gonna buy a Tom-Tom 720 Europe, also i have a Battery from an alarm panel & thinking of perchasing a solar panel charging system to mount on top of the Mule. May sound & look mad as ought but i think it will work?
Thx again for a gr8 laf, any help would be appreciated. As i said it my 1st 1 in Euroland (hope it not my last) i returnin to Roermond to my childhood home & see were i was born in Wegburg (Germany)

Bodhbh

Guru
Penfold said:
Always take a moment to check out your camping spot BEFORE you ride off into the sunrise.
Its a pain having to ride back hoping that your 'lost' bit of kit will still be there.
On that note, and after already loosing glasses, gloves, suncream, rear lights, pannier fittings, etc.

- If something sounds like it's fallen off, it has probably has. Stop.
- If you hear the bike run over something you didn't see, something has probably fallen off. Stop.
- If someone beeps at you something has probably fallen off. Stop.

Top Bottom