Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ASC1951 said:
Kendal Mint Cake? It's hard to find because times have moved on since 1950s in the Lake District. It's just sugar, and chemical tasting sugar at that, definitely not what you want when you're touring. What's wrong with actual food?

Ooh, I don't know...

I still have hankerings for a nibble on some Kendal Mint Cake every now and then. Would rely on it as a primary source of energy for too long - jelly babies are better for that :thumbsup:

vernon

TheDoctor said:
Take your time. Enjoy the scenery, the new sights,the sounds, smells, tastes and textures. Whatever is driving you onwards, enjoy it, revel in it.

Sound advice indeed. A ride that is savoured creates a whole raft of memories for future enjoyment.

vernon

TheDoctor said:
Take your time. Enjoy the scenery, the new sights,the sounds, smells, tastes and textures. Whatever is driving you onwards, enjoy it, revel in it.

Sound advice indeed. A ride that is savoured creates a whole raft of memories for future enjoyment.

mrpattersonsir

*never* attempt anything without bungees!

they're excellent for: improvised clothes drying lines; keeping food off the ground; holding your panniers together after a big fall; attaching extra bottles of water to your rack; emergency guy ropes...

never leave home without them (in various lengths and gauges too).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
From time to time people mention suitable laptops for touring. I've recently purchased an Asus Eee to fill a specific work function. It's superb little machine, weighs less than a kilo, 2.5 hours battery life, good keyboard, Openoffice pre-installed, Mozilla browser, Linux OS.

I think this would be an excellent machine to take touring and this one I'm using now will certainly be doing LeJog in august.

Brock

PaulSB said:
From time to time people mention suitable laptops for touring. I've recently purchased an Asus Eee to fill a specific work function. It's superb little machine, weighs less than a kilo, 2.5 hours battery life, good keyboard, Openoffice pre-installed, Mozilla browser, Linux OS.

I think this would be an excellent machine to take touring and this one I'm using now will certainly be doing LeJog in august.

Agreed, I bought one on the day of release and I love it. Fits neatly into the bar bag and is very rugged as these crazy Frenchmen prove.

Eurostar

Guru
Don't cruise on the hoods all day, it ruins your average speed. Get down on the drops, that's what they're for. If they're too low to be comfy, raise your bars.

A little tri bag like this one http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a...1663&N=Topeak Tri-Bag Bar Bag With Rain Cover can be fitted behind your stem and filled with the sort of nibbles you wouldn't want to stick in your pocket. I fill mine with those bags of mixed fruit and nut that you can often buy at petrol stations. It seems to do a good job of keeping me topped up with a handy blend of protein and sugars and salts and stuff.

CycleTourer

Veteran
Eurostar said:
Don't cruise on the hoods all day, it ruins your average speed. Get down on the drops, that's what they're for. If they're too low to be comfy, raise your bars..

Who cares about average speeds anyway! Stay up and cruise and enjoy the scenery that's why you are out touring isn't it.

If you want to worry about average speeds and like to stare at the tarmac all day, buy a racing bike and go racing! :blush:

vernon

CycleTourer said:
Who cares about average speeds anyway! Stay up and cruise and enjoy the scenery that's why you are out touring isn't it.

If you want to worry about average speeds and like to stare at the tarmac all day, buy a racing bike and go racing! :biggrin:

I second that motion. The only time when I worry about average speeds is when I am riding an audax. Even then I don't resort to using the drops.

If I wanted to stare at tarmac all day I'd buy a recumbent :wacko:

Top Bottom