Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rollinstok

Take a 10ft long piece of reasonably strong string, use as a washing line, somewhere to hang the tent over when its damp, handy for emergencies on the bike/pannier rack etc, and also to tie one end round your bike at night and the other end tied to a pannier bag underneath the canopy.. its a sort of alarm if anyone decides to pinch the bike.. I used to stick the back wheel of the bike under the canopy and use a spare peg to pin it down. Every little helps.

Wander Wheels

We always carry a portion of rice or pasta + a couple of "Look What we found" vacuum packed meals with us for that emergency evening when everything is shut and you need to eat. They actually taste very good as well and available from Waitrose and other supermarkets. Also benefit from not having to be refrigerated and are light weight. After we're eaten these we then buy another emergency meal to carry. We don't like going hungry:hungry:

Wander Wheels

We always carry a portion of rice or pasta + a couple of "Look What we found" vacuum packed meals with us for that emergency evening when everything is shut and you need to eat. They actually taste very good as well and available from Waitrose and other supermarkets. Also benefit from not having to be refrigerated and are light weight. After we're eaten these we then buy another emergency meal to carry. We don't like going hungry:hungry:

Just read J-Lo same suggestion and looks like they are much cheaper to buy via their website - thanks

asterix

Comrade Member
Some pro tour guides I met do a lot of bike fixing for their clients. They used mechanics gloves you can get from DIY places and motor factors. I bought some and find them far better than disposable ones as they are tough but ok for delicate work and yet weigh very little. They also keep your hands a bit warmer when working.

Stephen Coulson

Stop water ingress in those head stock bearings. Don't buy expensive neoprene seals to cover them. Just cut a length of inner tube long enough to cover the bearing plus 20mm either side, (say a total of about 80mm), stretch it over the bearing and viola, sealed headstock bearings. Try not to let too much overlap onto the forks or handlebar stem as it causes a bit of drag as you turn the bars.

You can also do the same with the seat post to stop water running down the tube and ito the bottom bracket.

keep pedaling!

Steve

My-Bicycling-Adventure

jags

Guru
for keeping all insects at bay spray yourseld all over with MOUTHWASH
well it works without fail for the moonshiners
watched it on sky last night:thumbsup:

Rymo

Bring a map!
Just completed my first week long ride in northern France and yeah, never took a map. compass was used but just 'heading south' kinda sucks in the end as most of the time we were lost!
Great fun though when looking back

Screw on gas cartidges can be hard to find and expensive when you do in most of mainland europe. I've just bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Pun...9YOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335971306&sr=8-1
so I can use the puncture type that all the supermarkets etc. stock for a couple of euros.

Best kept secret for saddle sores - Hydrocolloid Dressings. They are a bit like second skin and help absorb any infection as well cushion the sore. You need to soak them off though! You can buy them from most pharmacies.

coddy

lifeventure%20travel%20clothes%20line.jpg

I find these cloths lines to be practical to use. The twists in the line are used to hang out the clothes instead of pegs. £3 at wiggle with free postage.

why_me

Regular
Where swimming trunks next to your skin as you can clean them easily with shampoo in the shower at the end of the day's cycling. They dry easily overnight. This guarantees a hygeinic ride every day and you get more use out of your underpants as you then only wear them in the period between cycling and going to bed.
i once sailed with a low maintenance french friend who had one pair of swim wear - for three weeks. :-/

suffolkcindy

Warning. Men might not want to read further:

I would certainly certainly recommend cycling in padded cycling shorts without underwear (or swimwear) to avoid seam chaffing...women can use pantyliners to prolong wear...padded cycling undershorts also wash and dry overnight easily or blow dry on the back of your bike the next day :smile: ...and you can wear 'normal' clothes over the top if you want to...some designs of women's undershorts also have an antibacterial lining for improved hygeine...

Top Bottom