Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Lessons from last week's two days ride

1. Change socks every night. Athletic foot is no fun.
2. If you hear grouses at full pelt near your campsite, either move campsite to a more quiet area or be prepared for a sleepless night. Those grouses are vocally very active during the night....... and loud.
3. Red deer does not respect cyclists. Neither do pheasants. Neither do they respect any shouting and swearing overdrives too. They will not move and they are as predictable as a Buckfast fuelled youngster.

i don't think I've seen talcum powder mentioned here but it was welcome to relieve by brother's soggy feet. I put some in a small squeezable bottle and glued a bit of that thin plastic you get at the bottom of CD spindles over the top, with holes in it.

cheapo freezer bags are very handy, they are long, light, you get plenty on a small roll and good for keeping things fresh, especially meat. I used one for saving some chicken kebabs til later.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If you want to take talcum powder with you but think that you will only need small amounts then just fill a 35 mm film container with it. Punch a few holes in the lid with a knife and cover them with a bit of masking tape so that the powder doesn't spill everywhere.

good tip. Those cannisters might be worth more than the film these days. I've a couple of rolls still in the fridge so I might have to get the old Praktica and chemicals out..

For a future tip, I've just found a decade old golf club groove cleaner with plastic and metal bristles which should get the bbq grill free of burnt bits.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
And one that i discovered in northern France recently.
A cycle ride that goes past lots of windmills might be a bit more difficult than you're expecting.
It's amazing how many hills there are in a supposedly flat region.
And how much headwind there can be...

dragon72

Guru
One of the first things I realised when starting touring was that there are such things as shops in the places you tour in.
In other words, you don't have to buy everything in advance and carry it for the whole trip.

When I go for a day-ride, I never take headache pills or chain lube or granola bars or whatever, because I know I can generally survive until I get to a place to buy those things, usually within an hour or two. Do you take a first-aid kit on a day-ride? Really??

A tour is a sequence of day-rides, where you're never really very far from a pharmacy/bike shop/mechanic/supermarket/friendly stranger.

This goes for the 3rd world and developing countries too. People need/sell stuff wherever they live. You don't have to buy it all before you go.

Matt2matt2002

good tips here.
I use plastic tuppaware kinda boxes in my panniers to keep things ordered.
Makes finding stuff extra easy
Thumbs up for the plastic bag tips

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Waterproof panniers are worth their weight in gold. I've just emptied my dry waterproof rear panniers and soggy non-waterproof (but under rain covers) front panniers out and the difference is remarkable.

Take a map with you and don't believe you will get a better one when you are there.

The Collins Touring Map of Scotland is not really up to the job as it is missing important things like where the big hills are!

I love the panniers I have but not very waterproof; Putting your kit in laundry bags helps but I cut 2 3litre milk cartons down the side and put them in bottom of panniers to stop kit getting soaked at the bottom caused by splash-up in bad conditions. They work a treat and you can use em filled with water to help you find small punctures the old fashioned way! Can use them when shaving/washing rather than mess tin (if wild camping) too.

1. A couple of strong clothes pegs...For the obvious and plenty of other uses.
  2. Spare mobile (same make as your 1st one,then you only take 1 charger)
  3. House-wife kit (cotton,needle etc!) Give you something do at night if you rip your shorts!
  4. Spare Tarp... handy as a sleep mat or extra cover over tent if conditions look bad.
  5. Suncream (sunburn hurts,sunstroke a killer)
  6. Take socks and underwear you don't much care for anymore and bin them each day at start of tour (depends on type of tour and possibility of shopping later)
  7. Take old shoelaces (stronger than string) Loads of uses.
  8. Pro-plus (It does work washed down with coffee or red-bull)
  9. A camera
  10. GSOH and some cheek! If your on a budget and its a charity ride don't be afraid to ask for a discount at sites etc.... You will be suprised? My last tour in Wales I stayed for free at 1st campsite,paid full price at 2nd,got 2 nights for £1 at the 3rd and the last site donated the pitch fee to the charity! I am a tad cheeky though and i know some people don't have the nerve to ask.
Thats my top 10...... But with every new tour you always think of something new????

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Always take a selection of zip ties .......... even better still take spare Allen screws for your bike rack!!!!

Losing one in a day is unlucky, losing two is neglect especially when you've spent a couple of hours thinking must get some oil for that squeaky noise!!

Posted from somewhere in Yorkshire with a rack tied on the back! :sad: :sad:

Top Bottom