Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When camping in the cold, zip up your waterproof jacket or fleece and then fit it over the foot of your sleeping bag.
If your feet are warm, the rest of you will be warm

When camping in ordinary climes if feet get warm unzip the bottom of your sleeping bag so the foot of the bag does not get damp and sweaty

Pack clothing and other items in nylon drawstring sacks which are different colours.
You then know that pants and socks are in the green bag,the evening trousers and shirt are in the blue bag, Laundry is in the yellow bag etc.
Makes finding items and clothing far easier in a small tent or pannier
Also the bags double up as a pillow

Pack clothes in clear plastic bags - you can then see what is in the bags -and dont have to remember the colour of the bag :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
Pack clothes in clear plastic bags - you can then see what is in the bags -and dont have to remember the colour of the bag :smile:

Cloth however is breathable and more comfortable as a pillow !

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
One thing I've found really handy is Crocs. Sure you may look like a fashion disaster (I'm really old enough now to just not care when I'm in that pub as to what I look like), but they're extremely lightweight, don't get wet and (at least for me) very comfy. Add in the fact they are easy to put on and take off, and that makes for really easy tent ingress/egress (especially at night when you have a call of nature ).

Saves trying to pack another pair of footwear if you use cycling shoes. They are great things for tootling around a campsite or even short walks -wouldn't be without them now -aside from fashion (pah, who cares?), they check off every functionality for me.
I once wore my crocs on a day trip to Paris,:becool: still have those (5 yrs old now) the wife has bought me some with fluffy inserts that I use as slippers, well comfy ....
Hello my name is Rhys, 32 years old and I'm a fashion fopa:hello:

Here's one I've done. Create a container of coffee, sugar and dried milk. It is all ready-in-one.
Don't bring 2 mess tins, one is enough.
A bar of sunlight soap is good for washing clothes or better still just wash your clothes with you in shower with shower gel.
If in doubt, don't bring it, remember you can buy most things you actually need on the road.
If you are travelling in eastern Europe, don't bother with a stove: food and drinks are so cheap, it is unnecessary.
Bring an iPhone/Smartphone, rather than a laptop with you if you want to keep in touch via WiFi. (But make sure data roaming is switched off)
Use a jumper for a pillow.
Get a one man tent that opens from the side.
Bring raingear.
Bring a light lock, you will be with your bike most of the time anyway on tour: u locks are very heavy.
Couchsurf effectively and leave your tent at home. (easier said than done, I like the security of a tent backup)

Sleep only in your undies in your sleeping bag, your body will warm up your sleeping bag, if you keep your clothes on your bag will never get warm.
Also use a lighter (smaller) sleeping bag than you need but pack a rechargeable (or disposable) hand warmer pouch to throw in the bottom with your feet when you want to go to sleep.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sleep only in your undies in your sleeping bag, your body will warm up your sleeping bag, if you keep your clothes on your bag will never get warm.
Also use a lighter (smaller) sleeping bag than you need but pack a rechargeable (or disposable) hand warmer pouch to throw in the bottom with your feet when you want to go to sleep.

Eh ? The objective is to keep yourself warm, not transfer heat to the sleeping bag, I can assure everyone that you will be warmer the more insullation you've got, be that extra clothes or thicker bag. Having just made the mistake of taking my summer bag to the alps last week I was wearing every stitch of clothing i had to stay even slightly warm

Assuming the poster isn't just making a joke of some sort, this is why you don't strip down to your pants to make your coat warmer when going outside in the cold

Sorry Profpointy, but it works for me, I've tried sleeping with clothes on in my sleeping bag and I could never get to sleep, striping off solves the problem within minutes for me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sorry Profpointy, but it works for me, I've tried sleeping with clothes on in my sleeping bag and I could never get to sleep, striping off solves the problem within minutes for me.

Have you tried stripping off before putting your coat on before going outside on a cold day as well ?
(sorry, perhaps I should get my coat = :-)

To be fair, it's not very comfortable trying to sleep in two jumpers and a pair of trousers, but it is warmer - just like the laws of physics might indicate. And as that great Scottish engineer used to say, "you cannae break the laws of physics". Maybe your sleeping bag is warm enough - so you don't need extra layers.

I shall certainly be trying the "bring warm enough sleeping bag" option next time, as wearing all your clothes is not a great option comfort wise, but it's better than freezing your bollocks off !

Top Bottom