Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
From here - http://www.raymears.com/Woodlore/Bushcraft_Tips_And_Advice.cfm/10-Sleeping-Bag-Comfort-Temperatures/

"Dress in a light underclothing set, and add socks and a knitted cap in winter. If you still feel cold despite all this, do not add more clothing but drape something over the bag like a down jacket, or place more insulation beneath you."

But the link says in the first paragraph "It is also a fact that the lower the outside temperature the more clothes you should wear inside your sleeping bag. "

Brains

Legendary Member
Also use a lighter (smaller) sleeping bag than you need but pack a rechargeable (or disposable) hand warmer pouch to throw in the bottom with your feet when you want to go to sleep.

or a Sigg water bottle filled up with almost boiling water and then inserted inside a walking sock makes a great hot water bottle

CafGriff

OMG!! These are exactly THE pearls of wisdom I an seeking in readiness for my epic in April 2013.

I've been on this site ( my first ever like this ) and the penny hasdropped as to HOW TO ACTUALLY USE IT PROPERLY!!!:wacko:

CafGriff

This is going to be nightly visit on this forum.
And hopefully I'll soon be up to date with the Chat. I started off when the the entries dated 2007, n now it's 22.11hrs n I've got to go bed now.
All these tips are Pearls!! :bicycle: Cool!! but my head is ,,,:hyper:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So reading this thread, a tl;dr would go like this:

Take:
Bungees, chopsticks, duck tape, a knife, a local map and a compass, a tarp, first aid kit, water, Puncture repair kit, bug repellant, moisturiser, LOTS of plastic bags and/or condoms and a fair amount of vaseline.

Really, I always use KY.

CafGriff

Ha!! :rolleyes: all of this has been noted and will be taken! plus sooooo soooo much more. :wacko:
clothes pegs / chocolate / mini fast drying towel / loo paper !! / lip - stock / sun blocker ( U never know April is very hit and miss ) / throw away lighters / plastic bg ties / mini mirror - i may mean Brad P or Johnny D on route - filming somewhere!! :girl:/ cheap bike cover ( any recommendations for that one? .... THE list seems endless, and that's just me relpying to U off the top of my head!! When I sit down and actually make the list, I think I shall frighten myself !! :eek:

Have always used a light cotton sleeping bag liner. Find it keeps sleeping-bag fresher, increases warmth and is easy to wash. Ideal for placing your inner clothing layers between bag and liner in the morning to warm them up before dressing (cold climate). Also keeps bugs off if lying in unzipped bag (warm climate). Turn sleeping-bag inside out for airing/checking nothing inside (animal life) before re-turning & packing.
Thin para cord - perfect for washing line (don't need pegs if the line is twisted), hanging a tarp, emergency repairs.

CafGriff

Have always used a light cotton sleeping bag liner. Find it keeps sleeping-bag fresher, increases warmth and is easy to wash. Ideal for placing your inner clothing layers between bag and liner in the morning to warm them up before dressing (cold climate). Also keeps bugs off if lying in unzipped bag (warm climate). Turn sleeping-bag inside out for airing/checking nothing inside (animal life) before re-turning & packing.
Thin para cord - perfect for washing line (don't need pegs if the line is twisted), hanging a tarp, emergency repairs.
Hey Joe ...whatdayaknow!!!! ;) Bless You!!
still gathering info and equipment ... n enjoying it!:bicycle:

jakegil

I've recently bought a couple of cheap clear plastic Bahco 6 Compartment Organiser things (3.5 x 22 x 13cm) that fit perfectly into my handle bar bag. Ideal for things like tyre levers, allen keys, puncture repair stuff, toothbrush, etc. Saves the normal rummaging through and still got about half the space for other larger items.

Last edited:

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I've probably taken too little this time but will visit the bike shop today or tomorrow and pick up a few things as I go along.The Nintendo DS has also conked out.

jakegil

If you've purchased a fold out map cut it up into map case sized sections, develop a map numbering system telling which page to turn to and laminate them. Obviously don't scan them due to copyright infringement. The hours it takes will not only save you minutes on the road but it won't get wet!

Attachments

• 1393071_10151663261002337_154712291_n.jpg
    1393071_10151663261002337_154712291_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 103

Irish_Marty

Here's a few things I always do if possible.
Wear my dirty clothes ( the piece of clothing I was wearing when I left the house ) when out in the middle of nowhere and only changing temporarily if i'm stopping at restaurants etc and change back into my dirty clothing again. This can help with keeping my clothes fresh.
Also wearing less can help. I don't wear socks or underwear and I wear sandals. < of course this is providing it's warm.
Stop at a barbers to get my haircut and I get it cut short. This helps with keeping myself clean.
Eat something every ten mile. This doesn't mean I stop to cook a meal every ten mile. I carry high energy food in a handlebar pouch that I can eat while cycling such as a banana, nuts, raisons, cookies and biscuits. This way I lessen the possibility of reaching that stage of complete fatigue.
I stop to brew a coffee every 20 mile and have pastry, cookies and biscuits. Again I'm keeping energy up and lessening the possibility of reaching that stage of complete fatigue.
I eat a large meal before cycling and I eat another large meal an hour or two before going to bed. This way i'm storing energy.
I drink water often. If you drink a little water often enough you keep yourself hydrated. If you allow yourself to dehydrate drinking water may not be enough to get yourself feeling better. You may need to rest or you may even need medical help.
Carry salt. Salt helps retain water in the body, stimulate muscle contraction and it contains nutrients vital to the digestive system. < just a few of many reasons why salt is vital.
Carry sugar. < quite simply an energy source that can be consumed so easily.
Carry vitamin C. < endless reasons as to why vitamin c is important. The reason I carry it is because I may not be able to get orange juice and your body cannot make it.

Top Bottom