Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, gubbins covers a multitude of stuff - may dare to post a pic sometimes of all the junk I carry.

Surprised at you using anything in a sachet - and stuff with bits already added - prefer to add my own bits - less "added value", more value for me.

Sorry to disappoint you with my lack of purity.. :angel:

Sometimes needs must.

Fresh cooked, from scratch, is nicerer, but not always available at end of day.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I often wonder what folks have got in those massive ortlieb cargo holds they lug everywhere.
...coffee making gear...
Say no more.

As a tea drinker, I'm frequently amazed at how much stuff people will carry to avoid a mediocre cup of coffee

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I drink both, and have facilities for crafting same.

All contained within this little colourful pile.

Somewhere. :shy:

It's all there - even a few bits of 'gubbins' perhaps

Having everything a different colour makes it easier to find stuff by torchlight, on dark evenings / mornings.

Especially before that first cup of tea.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Emergency food ration - I don't see the point in taking food that needs cooking with water and gas. You end up looking for shelter, a lighter, and need to save extra water. It takes valuable time that you could be using to make it to a shop before closing time. I like the idea of oatcakes, nothing fancy or too tempting, something you can eat in five minutes or on the bike. Oatcakes and wine gums would be an ideal combo if you could resist eating the wine gums!
Up in Scotland you do, can easily go 24 hours without seeing a shop or open pub/cafe so an emergency dehydrated chilli is a must. We carried a water filter so we didn't get stuck for water either.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Up in Scotland you do, can easily go 24 hours without seeing a shop or open pub/cafe so an emergency dehydrated chilli is a must. We carried a water filter so we didn't get stuck for water either.

Agree re those emergency meals.
They aren't the finest cuisine, but if its that or nothing.. They're totally delicious.

I don't think I've ever filtered water in Scotland, but I guess it would be wise in the lowlands.

Took a filter to Spain, but it didn't get used, everyone seemed only too happy to fill my bottles wherever I went..
Plus there is a public font in nearly every village.

8mph

Veteran
Funny you should say that, I was cooking my last porridge oats up in Sutherland last week, with 15 miles to get to Lairg. It was windy and took 30 minutes to get together. (I'd forgotten that there was an inn 2 miles down the road!)
I do carry food and cook but from then on I decided to keep something that was easier to consume in an emergency.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Funny you should say that, I was cooking my last porridge oats up in Sutherland last week, with 15 miles to get to Lairg. It was windy and took 30 minutes to get together. (I'd forgotten that there was an inn 2 miles down the road!)
I do carry food and cook but from then on I decided to keep something that was easier to consume in an emergency.

I think its sensible to have a halfway house emergency ration, somewhere between having to cook, or being required to cycle twenty miles on just jelly babies -

Personally that would make me quute nauseous.

The wholefood end of energy bars with lots of more natural stuff in them do it for me.

Some instant carbs, for energy, but also some more solid stuff, to temper the sugar rush.

Of course the ideal is the Inn two miles up the road - and even more ideally knowing its there, and open.

The hard part is then, leaving that Inn, and setting forth once more :whistle:

8mph

Veteran
I think its sensible to have a halfway house emergency ration, somewhere between having to cook, or being required to cycle twenty miles on just jelly babies -

Personally that would make me quute nauseous.

The wholefood end of energy bars with lots of more natural stuff in them do it for me.

Some instant carbs, for energy, but also some more solid stuff, to temper the sugar rush.

Of course the ideal is the Inn two miles up the road - and even more ideally knowing its there, and open.

The hard part is then, leaving that Inn, and setting forth once more :whistle:
I think you're right. I seem to have caused a fair bit of confusion with my wording. I meant, have something to eat that doesn't require cooking at all times, it can save you precious minutes when you need to get to shops before they shut! Sorry people!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Recent off road trip over 3 days. Dehydrated ‘Expedition’ food was a winner for a light set up. Available in standard, normal and high calorie options. Top tip for this type of food: Get a long handled spork or spoon.

Yes indeed, a long spoon is very much the thing.

And generally add another 5 mins at least to rehydration times.. Wrap the packet in your spare fleece to keep it hot.

Firepot meals. A smallish operation who have set up near me, in Dorset, do some very decent dehydrated meals.

Their porcini risotto wouldn't be out of place on a proper dinner table.

'Summit to Eat' are another brand that I'm enjoying atm.
You can often find deals on line with a discount code.

£5 or more, for a single portion seems like a lot to pay, but you'd happily pay twice that for a decent, sustaining feed at days end, when the time comes.
(And you'd pay that in a pub)

I take lots of dehydrated greens from the farm, to add to these kind of meals.
On longer trips.

Makes them that more nutritious, and palatable.

Fiona R

Yes indeed, a long spoon is very much the thing.

And generally add another 5 mins at least to rehydration times.. Wrap the packet in your spare fleece to keep it hot.

Firepot meals. A smallish operation who have set up near me, in Dorset, do some very decent dehydrated meals.

Their porcini risotto wouldn't be out of place on a proper dinner table.

'Summit to Eat' are another brand that I'm enjoying atm.
You can often find deals on line with a discount code.

£5 or more, for a single portion seems like a lot to pay, but you'd happily pay twice that for a decent, sustaining feed at days end, when the time comes.
(And you'd pay that in a pub)

I take lots of dehydrated greens from the farm, to add to these kind of meals.
On longer trips.

Makes them that more nutritious, and palatable.
Brilliant tips re brands to try, thanks for generously sharing your expertise.

Fiona R

I don't think I've ever filtered water in Scotland, but I guess it would be wise in the lowlands.

Took a filter to Spain, but it didn't get used, everyone seemed only too happy to fill my bottles wherever I went..
Plus there is a public font in nearly every village.

I'd filter anywhere below sheep level even in Scotland, but only had to use on the Cairngorms Outer loop last summer.

freiston

Veteran
I like to take muelsi style bars and fruit paste bars (like "Naked" brand) for topping up the engine on a ride - I will sometimes take a packed lunch too. For a fall-back meal, I don't mind those 50p cheesy pasta sachets that you add water and milk to and boil in a pan - I use powdered milk mixed in instead of fresh milk. I also carry a couple of emergency oat sachets (the sort sold for making microwave porridge). That gets me through between shop stops.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd filter anywhere below sheep level even in Scotland, but only had to use on the Cairngorms Outer loop last summer.

:okay:

I must take a look at that Cairngorms outer loop.

I love walking on the tops of the Gorms, cycling their periphery would be another kind of fun. :bicycle:

I think you posted a trip journal somewhere @Cranky Knee Girl ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom