Top Touring Tips

Deafie

Veteran
Yep there is that too. :laugh:

The times it was really useful was in setting up a tent with sleeping bags and cooking gear etc then cycling back home leaving the trailer there in the tent in order that my partner and I plus the dog could travel up to it by Train/Bus without having to cart all that weight (neither of us drive) then after a week or so return home on public transport and I'd cycle back up there and pack the trailer up and cycle home again. You may think this a bit 'long winded' but I got to cycle around 100Km to the campsites (in the Peak district) which took most of a day with the trailer set up the tent and have a kip then have a bimble around on the bike before heading home the 3rd day. It's only about 4 hrs to get home 'sans trailer' so an early start for me meant we could all leave Leicester before lunch to arrive at a ready pitched tent in the evening. :becool: coming back was the same thing in reverse.
I like your style!

mudsticks

Über Member
I like the idea of a trailer for local load carrying, I had some plans for a DIY one.

I probs do more nights out backpacking, overall than cycle touring, so all my usual kit - tent / sleeping bag / stove / clothes food electrical etc comes to about 11 kg..

Plus I spose maybe half a kg of bike related kit, which all goes into my four square panniers, and back rack pretty neatly.

I often wonder what folks have got in those massive ortlieb cargo holds they lug everywhere.

Plus all the additional stuff strapped to the top :wacko:

But I'm far too polite to ask :stop:

iwantanewbike

When showering, spend a minute wiping down as much water off your head and body before using the towel. That way you can pack a smaller towel and give it the best chance of being dry for next time!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A tip that I've learnt in the last few days :

If you buy a pie, pasty or other pastry product to eat en route, then try to eat it on the same day. They are very crumbly (and in hot weather, slimy) 2 days later.
Potentially rotten too. I've been unwell after keeping cheesy food half a day (30+°c) before eating it, when I didn't have my cool bag.

Top Bottom