Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I like the idea of a trailer for local load carrying, I had some plans for a DIY one.

I probs do more nights out backpacking, overall than cycle touring, so all my usual kit - tent / sleeping bag / stove / clothes food electrical etc comes to about 11 kg..

Plus I spose maybe half a kg of bike related kit, which all goes into my four square panniers, and back rack pretty neatly.

I often wonder what folks have got in those massive ortlieb cargo holds they lug everywhere.

Plus all the additional stuff strapped to the top :wacko:

But I'm far too polite to ask :stop:

iwantanewbike

Über Member
When showering, spend a minute wiping down as much water off your head and body before using the towel. That way you can pack a smaller towel and give it the best chance of being dry for next time!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A tip that I've learnt in the last few days :

If you buy a pie, pasty or other pastry product to eat en route, then try to eat it on the same day. They are very crumbly (and in hot weather, slimy) 2 days later.
Potentially rotten too. I've been unwell after keeping cheesy food half a day (30+°c) before eating it, when I didn't have my cool bag.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
When showering, spend a minute wiping down as much water off your head and body before using the towel. That way you can pack a smaller towel and give it the best chance of being dry for next time!

I take two micro fibre cloths about 8" square each..

They're fluorescent yellow

You can get perfectly dry after a shower using the 'mop and wring' method using one..
Including drying longish hair.

The other one* used in same way, for getting the worst of the wet off a tent in the morning, so as you're not lugging all that extra water up hills.

You then affix them to your back end luggage to dry more.. Or at least stay freshish..

Their flapping about adds to your general visibility on the road.

Thus.

Oh and there appear to be some socks and undies to view too :whistle:

I was astounded, when my temporary (for two days) touring companion.

A high up carparts engineer working for Bosch, claimed that it would never have occurred to him, to dry his laundry this way..

I dunno.. The youth of today huh??

* I can't claim that I don't regularly interchange the two cloths' functions..
But neither I, nor the tent, seems to have suffered ill effect as a result.

another fan of camping bed socks here.
Thankfully I have a lifetime's supply of such things though when the ICI issued them to my dad in generous quantities year on year I don't think they anticipated him sleeping on the job.

freiston

Veteran
Turkish towels seem to be overtaking microplastics amongst greener ultralight tourists. Anyone here tried one?
I've never heard of them before - a quick "duckduckgo" and from what I can see, they are similar to tea towels - is this the case?

Top Bottom