Topeak Roadie Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It seems a bit neither fish nor fowl if compared to a QR beam or a fully fixed rack.

JMAG

Über Member
lt's intended for road bikes which don't usually have eyelets for a traditional rack. QR racks can get in the way of lights and/or saddlebags although I guess if you have a rack, you may not need a saddlebag.

potsy

Rambler
What is the luggage capacity of it?
I only have a fixed rack on one bike these days and use the beam rack or large saddle bag on the rest.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a couple of bikes that would benefit from having a rack, but I don't want to have one on there all the time, just if I want to be able to take a big lock etc. I have another bike with a fixed rack for longer rides or shopping. This would be more for shorter rides involving a potter and leisurely coffee stop etc

I was just interested as I'd never seen one before. It looks lighter than a beam rack. I have a slide on Topeak bag

@potsy 7kg including bag I think

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Does it take a decent size D lock? I have a handlebar bag that takes a smaller d lock, not the abus granit bit it's not ideal with brakes on the handlebars. I just can't bear riding more than a mile with a rucksack!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Am looking for something to go on my wife's Croix de Fer but she is very picky about what she'll allow on it in case it ruins the look. Some of the beam racks look the most likely (it's to carry a small amount of kit/clothes when commuting). Pretty sure she'd hate this and the 25 tyre width would stop her anyway. Seems somewhat narrow although I know it's intended for a roadie.

potsy

Rambler
@potsy 7kg including bag I think
I have this one which has a similar weight allowance according to Evans, my Altura seat pack only takes 3kg though.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/beam-rack-rx-v-with-side-frames-ec033795#features

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Does it take a decent size D lock? I have a handlebar bag that takes a smaller d lock, not the abus granit bit it's not ideal with brakes on the handlebars. I just can't bear riding more than a mile with a rucksack!
Yup, I think it would. A couple of years ago I did an early spring ride on Exmoor so a lot of layering up and down was required depending on the direction of the gradient. Fully loaded, mine handled two spare tubes and repair kit, small first aid kit, multitool, extra gloves, extra socks, extra jacket, ronhill tracksters, wallet, and something to eat.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I have this one which has a similar weight allowance according to Evans, my Altura seat pack only takes 3kg though.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/beam-rack-rx-v-with-side-frames-ec033795#features
That looks like what we'll end up with, I seem to recall the big factor the last time we were close to buying was that there were three different bends on offer depending on wheel to seatpost angle and we chickened out buying on line in case we got the wrong one and it became an interminable faff.

potsy

Rambler
That looks like what we'll end up with, I seem to recall the big factor the last time we were close to buying was that there were three different bends on offer depending on wheel to seatpost angle and we chickened out buying on line in case we got the wrong one and it became an interminable faff.
There are different fittings (rx and mtx) so your bag needs to be compatible, not sure about the different bends but mine sits quite low so is much more stable than other beam racks.

Top Bottom