Topeak track pump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I have one of the above.

It works well except when I first connect to the valve I cannot get a good measurement of pressure and usually the first pump is awkward/really stiff, and most times I have to disconnect/reconnect for it to work properly?

It is fairly new and not had a lot of work at all……I have presta valves which are operating normally,so I’m pretty sure its not the valves.

Any advice?

vickster

Legendary Member
Which one is it? I had a max which was utter crap for road tyres.
if its new can you return as faulty?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

It’s a topeak joeblow sport.
It’s seems ok with schrader valves…..presta connection is complete useless.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It’s seems ok with schrader valves…..presta connection is complete useless.
Presta pressure gauges don't work like that!

The valve will be shut until you start pumping so the gauge will show no pressure. When you have pumped hard enough to open the valve then the gauge will be registering what you are pumping in.

Don't forget to unscrew the little nut on the valve and depress it to free the valve before you attach the pump. You should hear the valve make a clicking sound as the pressure from the pump forces it open.

Wobblers

Euthermic

I've got a Joe Blow max -and it's fine for road tyres. But unscrewing the presta valve nut all the way can cause it to jam in pump attachment. The solution is to just unscrew it enough so that the valve opens when pressed and no more (which also ensures that the valve body is free to move).

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Presta pressure gauges don't work like that!

The valve will be shut until you start pumping so the gauge will show no pressure. When you have pumped hard enough to open the valve then the gauge will be registering what you are pumping in.

Don't forget to unscrew the little nut on the valve and depress it to free the valve before you attach the pump. You should hear the valve make a clicking sound as the pressure from the pump forces it open.
Thanks I usually do give it a wee depress first.
Good knowledge though! 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a Joe Blow max -and it's fine for road tyres. But unscrewing the presta valve nut all the way can cause it to jam in pump attachment. The solution is to just unscrew it enough so that the valve opens when pressed and no more (which also ensures that the valve body is free to move).
I could never get the required 100psi in

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I think it's more intended for fat mtb tyres. I only put about 90 psi into the tyres of my Caad 10, and less than 60 for the London Road.
Indeed. The OP has a roadbike hence my question

Top Bottom