Topo maps on Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does anyone have Garmin Topo maps download on their devices?

I would like to ask some questions.
I have Topo light UK and Ireland on my Etrex 20 .... not sure I'm much help with questions ... but try me!

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
II am not totally sure how the Topo maps work. With the maps I have on my Garmin at the moment I can plot a route to travel down roads but not along tracks or canal paths. I was wondering if I used the Topo maps it would allow me to plot a route like this. Do you know?

andym

Über Member
You could try the maps from openfietsmap.nl or velomaps.org (especially the openmtbmaps maps).

In theory these should offer the ability to route down tracks or canal paths but routing can often be a bit trial-and-error as it depends on the settings on your device, and the way the map is set up - and occasionally, with OSM maps, you can find that two bits of a way aren't connected.

The fact that a map shows contour lines won't in itself affect how the device does routing. So it may be that the problem is with your device settings.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Steve, I dunno either, but I plot my routes on 'ridewithgps' and then I can go where the hell I like! Las weel I ended-up off-roading the Holdsworth down a very narrow muddy river trail ... I've also ended up on sand tracks through forests. It's much easier to use another mapping software and then load the gpx file onto the garmin. What the Topo map gives me is a proper map and road names etc to follow on screen. If I ride in Europe I just get the purple line of righteousness.
http://ridewithgps.com/users/180188/routes

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have the old 705 with topo on it but create a route in mapsource then export to 705 just because you can see more . mapsourc also has free map gb+contours that chooses smaller roads than topo but its in the settings to miss major roads or bridleways etc

Top Bottom