toptube distance from floor...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I want to get a cheap runaround road bike and I was thinking about putting a bid in for this one.

Description says for a 6ft+ rider which puts me off as I'm about 5'11. Surely, if I can straddle it comfortably, I should be OK to ride it, right? Or is to do with other factors such as reach?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have just measured my old Dawes Galaxy of 1986 vintage which looks to be an identical frame, and the seat tube is 60cm from centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube. I'm 5' 10" and it fits me like a glove. Go for it.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
What you describe as toptube distance from the floor is commonly referred to as standover height, which the seller has listed as 34".
Given that you want to leave at least an inch or two for your sensitive bits, this would mean that you'd need a 36" inside leg.
For someone of your height, I'd give this one a miss, as even if you were ok in the leg length department, you'd then most likely find the reach to the bars too much.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
What you describe as toptube distance from the floor is commonly referred to as standover height, which the seller has listed as 34".
Given that you want to leave at least an inch or two for your sensitive bits, this would mean that you'd need a 36" inside leg.
For someone of your height, I'd give this one a miss, as even if you were ok in the leg length department, you'd then most likely find the reach to the bars too much.
mmmm...I think I could be just a tad too short with the inside leg measurement (34") when in shoes. I think I might have to give this one a miss, but thanks for the input everyone.

Top Bottom