Torn between three

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
If you got the gravel version, The Bivio I think, you could buy a second set of wheels with road oriented tyres, which would give you the best of both worlds, off road tyres for the trails, slicks for tarmac, paired with nice wide range of gears would make a genuine do it all bike.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Have you considered This Condor ? A balance between the Bivio, which is definitely Gravel, and the Super A, which is very definitely a race bike, originally, I believe, aimed at Criterium riders.
My Condor Pendio (653, Chorus Racing T) is 23 years old, looks like new, still more capable than me. Go for what you desire.

I use to have the Fratello disc. Mehanical disc brakes. Was a lovely bike. Condor approved dealer did bike fit but I always felt it was a bit small and could have gone to a 58 frame.Again its another great choice and with Campag potenza hydros and some Mavic All roads it could be an excellent do it all bike. I am swaying more away from the Acciaio’s as they only take 25mm & 28mm tyres and are race bikes. At my age maybe a little more comfort is in order 🤓

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

If you got the gravel version, The Bivio I think, you could buy a second set of wheels with road oriented tyres, which would give you the best of both worlds, off road tyres for the trails, slicks for tarmac, paired with nice wide range of gears would make a genuine do it all bike.

Thats a good idea, Suppose could custom colour the bivio thru axle .....
In the blue below rather than that military green

Attachments

• A3F2AEF4-DB79-4DB4-BFFB-6C764C0501D4.png
    A3F2AEF4-DB79-4DB4-BFFB-6C764C0501D4.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

Thank you for everyones kind advice and help. Appreciated and also gives me other thoughts and ideas. This will be a bike for life into my retirement so must get it right. Thanks @vickster for alternatives and Ti recommendations but too many choices and I will be here in 2022 still deciding. Keep it Condor and may have a deposit down by end of next week 🤗

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Well I spent last nights nightshift trawling the threads on here. I have decided due to me riding when home from work and not been able to choose the best weather days I will go with disc brakes and thus allowing a 28mm tyre rather than 25mm... campag brakes which I gather are less bulbous than Shimano. I will ride all year when weather is decent (not ice and snow obviously) but rain etc. will be a given in uk. I would in reality be 75% roads and only really fire tracks and canal paths so the Bivio overkill. Its down to the Super Acciaio Disc or another Fratello with higher spec than my previous

OP
OP
T

Tripster

...don’t get mass produced plastic...

Are Pearson Carbon frames not mass produced in Taiwan too ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Are Pearson Carbon frames not mass produced in Taiwan too ?
Yep, but at least it's a fully British company! (established since 1860 :ohmy:)

I wouldn't get any carbon frame again myself (I didn't really know any better when I got my Pave in 2011 :wacko: - it was that or an alu Bianchi). carbon frames are just too un-versatile in terms of carrying stuff in panniers and often full mudguards! Fine if not an only bike, mine is mostly used on the turbo as I rarely go out without a big lock, means to carry shopping etc

Up to you though if that's what you like :smile:

OP
OP
T

Tripster

It’s a minimum 3 months wait for a Condor and the way things are in Italy right now (I am working here) I can see that becoming longer.
The plastic bikes are available now and when I go back home I can collect and ride rather than trawling web pages of bikes. In 3 months the Condor will arrive and I will be off on another job and may not actually get to ride it straight away. Yes the Condor is a nicer, bespoke option but it won’t get me riding anytime soon.
Genesis Equilibrium disc is steel and available too

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Yep, but at least it's a fully British company! (established since 1860 :ohmy:)

I wouldn't get any carbon frame again myself (I didn't really know any better when I got my Pave in 2011 :wacko: - it was that or an alu Bianchi). carbon frames are just too un-versatile in terms of carrying stuff in panniers and often full mudguards! Fine if not an only bike, mine is mostly used on the turbo as I rarely go out without a big lock, means to carry shopping etc

Up to you though if that's what you like :smile:

Even Condors not full British !! Carrying things not something I need to do but I understand what you mean about the Carbon mass produced frames. Having a bespoke bike is lovely and my Fratello was great, but the cost is increasing and I seem to be putting an ever lower spec kit on the build to keep cost from spiralling and that doesn’t do the frame justice.
I wouldn’t want another Fratello now though

OP
OP
T

Tripster

There are other steel options (or Ti ;) )

I think Condor steel frames are made in Italy (or used to be?)
Yep and their Carbon frames too in same factory.
A mate just pinged me a Cotic Escapade build. Gold 700c Road spec and only £2300. A fraction of the Condor and cheaper than the Carbon bikes.
Steel frame (manufactured far east) but all assembled in Blighty...
more choices 😕

I looked at the Ribble Ti CGR link, really nice bike and a good price for 105.. Heard good and bad about Ribble

vickster

Legendary Member
Alpkit do good stuff too if looking more at the gravel side. They do a tasty Ti

maybe you should go full custom from Mercian or similar, be a long lead time giving time to save :biggrin:

Top Bottom