1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torn Ligaments

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Tetedelacourse, 18 Oct 2007.

1. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Playing 5s on Tuesday night, some bloke took a shot and the ball came through a few legs which meant I didn't see it or expect it. It hit my foot in the air mid-run just before I put weight on it and hey ho, rrrip. Landed with foot knocked out of line, and so tore outside ankle ligaments on left foot.

I've had the injury about 4 times now although not for about 4 years, and not when I was so into my cycling. I know that it's a course of resting it, keeping it strapped and painkillers, but how long can I realistically expect to be off the bike for? I have a notion that cycling may aid its recovery as it's repetitive in-line movements, and physio always says try and move the joint.

Anyone had similar/ suggest realistic timeframe for recovery?

2. Membrane

Membrane New Member

I've no experience with that particular injury, but when I damaged (not tore) my knee ligaments in a crash last January I found that I could get back onto the bike earlier, and I got back to full function compared to walking.

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Just take it easy and see how the foot/ligaments react then re-assess what you are doing, and increase a little if OK.

Footie as an awful sport for cyclists - so many twist type injuries...

4. Maz

Maz Guru

I was off the bike for 2 weeks with acute tendonitis (knee) after playing 5aside too often on hard surfaces. I think rest is the key...as daft as it sounds, I applied a pasty mixture of tumeric powder and warm mustard oil to the knee then strapped it up (an old Pakistani remedy). I think it really sped up the recovery.

5. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

I struggle with a very sensitive IT band in my left knee, and am usually very good at not hurting it. In the couple of kilometres, blasting into canterbury on the British Cyclosportive I knackerd it totally. Virtually couldn't walk afterwards.

A couple of days off the bike then I started spinning on the turbo, in ultra low resistence in a tiny gear to keep movement. I recovered back to full strength in about 2 months which beat my physio's prediction by a good month.

I basically stuck to the below principle:

Movement = good.
    Muscle = bad.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Tore my ligaments in the same place as you Tete 20yrs ago. I was on crutches for two months, then a cane for the next 4mths. I was in bloody agony !!

Even after 20yrs, if I lie awkward or sit on the floor cross legged, because it's a sideways strain on the ligament my ankle 'locks' up.

This is one of the reasons I got myself a push bike, after advice, as it keeps my ankle flexible in a 'linear' sort of way.

I was told at the hospital all those years ago that it would give me jip for the rest of my life :evil: