Torn Ligaments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Playing 5s on Tuesday night, some bloke took a shot and the ball came through a few legs which meant I didn't see it or expect it. It hit my foot in the air mid-run just before I put weight on it and hey ho, rrrip. Landed with foot knocked out of line, and so tore outside ankle ligaments on left foot.

I've had the injury about 4 times now although not for about 4 years, and not when I was so into my cycling. I know that it's a course of resting it, keeping it strapped and painkillers, but how long can I realistically expect to be off the bike for? I have a notion that cycling may aid its recovery as it's repetitive in-line movements, and physio always says try and move the joint.

Anyone had similar/ suggest realistic timeframe for recovery?

Membrane

I've no experience with that particular injury, but when I damaged (not tore) my knee ligaments in a crash last January I found that I could get back onto the bike earlier, and I got back to full function compared to walking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just take it easy and see how the foot/ligaments react then re-assess what you are doing, and increase a little if OK.

Footie as an awful sport for cyclists - so many twist type injuries...

Maz

Guru
I was off the bike for 2 weeks with acute tendonitis (knee) after playing 5aside too often on hard surfaces. I think rest is the key...as daft as it sounds, I applied a pasty mixture of tumeric powder and warm mustard oil to the knee then strapped it up (an old Pakistani remedy). I think it really sped up the recovery.

I struggle with a very sensitive IT band in my left knee, and am usually very good at not hurting it. In the couple of kilometres, blasting into canterbury on the British Cyclosportive I knackerd it totally. Virtually couldn't walk afterwards.

A couple of days off the bike then I started spinning on the turbo, in ultra low resistence in a tiny gear to keep movement. I recovered back to full strength in about 2 months which beat my physio's prediction by a good month.

I basically stuck to the below principle:

Movement = good.
Muscle = bad.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Tore my ligaments in the same place as you Tete 20yrs ago. I was on crutches for two months, then a cane for the next 4mths. I was in bloody agony !!

Even after 20yrs, if I lie awkward or sit on the floor cross legged, because it's a sideways strain on the ligament my ankle 'locks' up.

This is one of the reasons I got myself a push bike, after advice, as it keeps my ankle flexible in a 'linear' sort of way.

I was told at the hospital all those years ago that it would give me jip for the rest of my life :evil:

Top Bottom