Torque setting for seatpin bolt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

I'm changing the alu seatpost on my Bianchi Via Nirone to a carbon FSA one - anyone any idea what tourque setting to use for the bolt? The FSA guide os to check with the frame info, but the Bianchi manual and website doesn't say what it shoule be.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My handbook says 8lb ft or 10nm
But thats alloy on alloy

OP
OP
S

slow down

Elmer Fudd said:
My handbook says 8lb ft or 10nm
But thats alloy on alloy

Is that for a Bianchi? If so, where in the manual did it say this, and I'll have another look (maybe I haven;t got the proper handbook? :sad:)

6.8 do not go over this unless you know its ok to do so.

i did and it cracked and i didnt know this and over time it got bigger and bigger and stil not knowing it was there i go out on a ride and boom it let go. phone up a shop that sales bianchi and ask them what the tq setting is.

girofan

slow down. Literally. Start at 4nm and if it slips try 5.5nm. Any more and you may deform the pin! A tip to stop carbon slipping is to dust it with talcum.
Hope I'm not too late posting and this helps?

OP
OP
S

slow down

Cheers all - I'll give it a go tomorrow. I have had problems with the alu one slipping, despite tightening much tighter than I would dare with a carbon post, but will try gradually and see how it goes. I'm using a USE shim (which is plastic) so this will hopefully help reduce damage to the post if it does slip down.

OP
OP
S

slow down

HLaB said:
Just to throw my 2p in, my Bianchi says 10nm on the seat post clamp

Thanks. I'll have a look later and see if there's anything on mine - I know there is on the stem, but can't remember seeing anything on the clamp before.

OP
OP
S

slow down

mickle said:
Warning Many manufacturers warranties are voided by the use of seat post shims. Cannondale for one. Check the fine print!

Haven't got much choice - Bianchi use 31.4mm posts, and there wasn't a vast choice of carbon posts available at this size. Luckily I only paid £28 new for the post off Ebay, so not the end of the world if I do screw it up. Thanks for the warning though.

Top Bottom