Torque wrench recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

two part question, when replacing centerlock rotors / cassette do people torque them up?

second, does anyone have any recommendations for a torque wrench and adapters for a Shimano cassette / centerlock rotor

thanks.

si_c

Guru
I don't torque rotors or cassettes as I don't see the need - Shimano spec quite a wide range for the torque anyway. I apply a fair amount of force until it becomes hard to get the next click and don't push it any further - never had either come loose.

I don't view them in the same way that I do fastenings for things like stem bolts or brake caliper bolts and 6 bolt rotor fixings. Those I do torque up to ensure that I get them sufficiently tight without rounding the bolts out or overtightening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope, just use a standard hex key or torx key for all bolts. The main use for my torque wrench is doing up the GXP BB bolt as it's got to be on very tight, more than my standard hex key can tighten.

l4dva

Guru
I brought one of these, and it worked well. Usually quite skeptical of "cheap" tools, however this seemed to do the job perfectly. Its large and heavy so makes very easy work of torquing up the cassette and lockrings. You'll need another socket wrench to undo the lockrings however, if you use the torque wrench to loosen nuts it will damage the tool.

I have since given this tool to a friend and now I use my dads old Snap-On torque wrench, which I presume cost 3 or 4 times more than the amazon one.

I've not got very good judgement when comes to tightening up bolts etc, I usually overdo it and round off nuts, and threads. So for me I like the piece of mind.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-28-210/dp/B000LFTSG6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=33H7LEM826S18&dchild=1&keywords=silverline+torque+wrench&qid=1598380411&sprefix=silverline+tor%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A rule of thumb I used with small stem bolts, before I bought a torque wrench, was to get them as tight as possible by hand with the "wrong" end of the allen key (not much leverage), then half a turn with the "right" end. By chance, this gives about the right torque. You need to be using standard-sized keys, though.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I brought one of these [Silverline 633567 Torque Wrench 1/2 inch Drive 28-210 Nm ], and it worked well.
This will only be useful for the heavy moment stuff which can reasonably be done up 'tight' without any need to have it at 'just about' 40Nm. A smaller wrench to cope with torques between 1 and 15Nm has to be a higher priority purchase.
Centrelock rotors and cassette lockrings need (about) 40Nm. So that's a 12" (effective 25cm) spanner being pushed 16kg force. I let the lockring click at me 4 times and then it's job done.

Top Bottom