Tortec Velocity Pannier rack and mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I'm quite keen to fit a Tortec Velocity pannier rack to one of my bikes for some light touring and mainly with just one pannier. The Velocity rack seems to tick all the boxes other than I don't know if you could fit it with mudguards or not? All the images I have seen so far are fitted to bikes without them, so maybe it's not possible unless someone on here can tell me otherwise?

The bike in question has 700c wheels, 28mm tyres and 35mm SKS mudguards.

Looking at the image below, it is quite narrow at the top, so it's either going be a perfect fit or it won't fit at all

Velocity RAck.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Maybe it does, just found this picture?

tortec-tortec-velocity-rear-rack-black-26700c_804.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I have that same rack and I use 35mm SKS mudguards. They fit fine.

Brillant, many thanks @ianrauk
Just out of interest what panniers do you use and are there any issues with the panniers swinging about or going into the spokes on account that the panniers are mounted much closer to the wheel than a conventional rack.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Brillant, many thanks @ianrauk
Just out of interest what panniers do you use and are there any issues with the panniers swinging about or going into the spokes on account that the panniers are mounted much closer to the wheel than a conventional rack.

I use 2 Altura panniers and have had no problems what so ever over many years of using it/them.
*Gratuitous bike touring pic warning*

ohc=T1ibbM5YdCIQ7kNvgHWU5yW&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr6-2.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really like the one I fitted to my Specialized.

New rack - side view.jpg

Yes, these racks really are narrow!

New rack - top view.jpg

I usually use one of the two small (front) Carradice CarraDry panniers that I bought from @Vantage. They are really secure.

I can't fit mudguards to that bike. There is plenty of room under the rack but not under the brakes. I came up with a bodge for the rear to at least keep spray off my back...

Skinny rack with pannier and DIY mudguard.jpg

That is a length of old tyre cable-tied into the top of the rack.

I was thinking about buying one of these racks for the bike that I have in Devon but I suspect that the rack stays would clash with the rear disk brake assembly. I might be able to use some spacers to give me more clearance. I'll have to check next time I am down there.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I prefer the black aluminium rods which secure the top of these racks vs the bent flat silver mounts used with most racks. Mine were too long though so I cut a few cm off each one.

As long as l can get it mounted parallel to the ground l'll be happy what ever the length of the stays are 😊

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As long as l can get it mounted parallel to the ground l'll be happy what ever the length of the stays are 😊
With the position of the mounting holes on the bike, the uncut stays were touching the tyre! They were very easy to cut with a small hacksaw though and I just moved the plastic caps to cover the cut ends.

It might not be obvious in my photos but my rack is not quite parallel to the ground. It isn't out enough to really bother me but I noticed it, and so did a friend when he came round just after I had fitted the rack.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
With the position of the mounting holes on the bike, the uncut stays were touching the tyre! They were very easy to cut with a small hacksaw though and I just moved the plastic caps to cover the cut ends.

It might not be obvious in my photos but my rack is not quite parallel to the ground. It isn't out enough to really bother me but I noticed it, and so did a friend when he came round just after I had fitted the rack.

I've also got two other Tortec racks, the Ultralight and the Expedition and both those mount parallel, so l don't foresee there being a problem, he said....🙏

Top Bottom