Torticollis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Anyone any experience? Been struggling with a v stiff and painful neck for 3 weeks. Physio has disgnosed torticollis or twisted neck. Probably not helped by my still not recovered shoulder and appalling posture!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I think I may have that too, but I haven't managed to sort the problem out yet! I didn't know that it was called that.

It is becoming a bit iffy on busy roads because I am finding it hard to look over my shoulder to see what is going on behind me.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, I think I may have that too, but I haven't managed to sort the problem out yet! I didn't know that it was called that.

It is becoming a bit iffy on busy roads because I am finding it hard to look over my shoulder to see what is going on behind me.
Physio exercises seem to be the treatment, and time...and not sleeping all crookedy

Sports massge can help.

I've woken up several times with horrid muscle spasms, so much so I have barely been able to lift my head and get out of bed! I do find a hot shower helps to get me moving in the morning, heated wheat pack too

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I have suffered with this in the past - but a physio at work helped me no end.When she manipulated my neck it felt like she was thinking about strangling me (and who knows what she was thinking) but within a minute of her working on my neck, the pain started to resolve.
Her suggested self help remedy was to get a bath towel and hold it so the leading edge is against your lower neck, then pull the towel tight in a gradual forwards and upwards motion. Repeat this at slightly higher levels on your neck sequentially. If you look at a diagram of a human spine, you will see that the neck vertebrae have long tails and with advancing age these can tend to lock against each, and it is this that often causes the spast type neck pain. The towel helps exert pressure to realign the vertebrae in an inwards and upwards direction that helps to separate any that are rubbing.

Eh? really?
I think it's some kind of cockney rhyming slang.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, suffered with it some years ago. Got out of bed, couldn't turn my head to the left. The most horrendous pain. Painkillers and rest and it became bearable after a few days, passed completely after a few weeks. Apparently it's common to strike first thing as people sit upright after being asleep.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Does seem a bit better with the Physio exercises. See Physio again tomorrow. Hurts most when I turn over in bed and first thing. Problem is perhaps everything is super tight after the shoulder surgery in March and continuing weakness and tightness on the right has possibly caused me to overstrain the left.
I also have a super crunchy jaw which could be linked to overworked neck muscles too!!

Top Bottom