total loss car insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
hi All.
my berlingo van was involved in a total loss claim claim (young lad smashed it up but took full responsibility) and we settled with his insurance via Claimfast and banked the cheque 2 weeks ago. today we got a phone call saying would we like the van back from storage ,there picking another car up on our area and can deliver my van in the morning as they don't want it with no charge to me. is this normal? can I just break it for parts and pocket the cash?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
can I just break it for parts and pocket the cash?

Yes

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As you probably know, after a total loss payout, the insurers in a sense "buy" the wreck for a sum reflecting its value before it was wrecked. Sometimes they will sell yoy back the wreck for a nominal sum. Example - old car, dented wing - proper repair to factory standard is a grand, car's worth £600 - sell you the write off for £100 and you bodge the wing "good enough" for £50 - everyone's a winner.

Given you the car for nowt is unusual - so check you're not paying storage or be otherwise stung, but fair enough. That said, you'd have to trailer it home, store it, break it, and deal with what's left at the end so you've got to ask yourself if you're in the scrap business or whatever business your day job is.

Fixing a minor ding and keeping it is very different

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
That's assuming you still have legal title over your van and it hasn't been transferred to the insurance company

Shaun
that's why I ask, I still have the log book in my name

As you probably know, after a total loss payout, the insurers in a sense "buy" the wreck for a sum reflecting its value before it was wrecked. Sometimes they will sell yoy back the wreck for a nominal sum. Example - old car, dented wing - proper repair to factory standard is a grand, car's worth £600 - sell you the write off for £100 and you bodge the wing "good enough" for £50 - everyone's a winner.

Given you the car for nowt is unusual - so check you're not paying storage or be otherwise stung, but fair enough. That said, you'd have to trailer it home, store it, break it, and deal with what's left at the end so you've got to ask yourself if you're in the scrap business or whatever business your day job is.

Fixing a minor ding and keeping it is very different
no question of me paying anything, the garage that where storing the van are collecting another car in my area so will drop it off for me, due to the damage I will not be able to make it road worthy but there. is a small fortune to be made in breaking it so why would they give me the car for nowt.

im not in the scrap car business (staff nurse) but have a garage and spanners and know how to use um

Profpointy

Legendary Member
sounds ok then but double check with insurers that you retain tile AND get the write of cost. Sounds like you know the things to check already

IncoherentJeff

Hmm it's odd that they'll give it you for free!

I recently had a minor bump in my Fiesta (my fault) & my insurers "approved repairer" quoted a gob smacking £1400+ for the repair! My insurer advised me this would be a write off as it's uneconomical to repair. I asked if I accepted the write off would they sell my written off car back to me. My insurer flat out refused. So I took it for a second opinion at a garage of my choice, who quoted £809 inc tax fixed price repair! My insurer accepted this quote & my cars been repaired.

Essentially their "approved repairer" bumped up the cost with unnecessary work until they knew it would be a write off, so they could have it as scrap, slap a bumper on & resell it for a quick profit.

Needless to say I'm no longer with Hastings Direct, 3 years as a loyal customer & that's how they treat me, pish.

My girlfriend has had her car written off twice (Cat C), due to its low value (old Ford Ka) but she loves it so each time her insurers have sold it back to her at scrap value & we've repaired it independently.

Once you accept the write off & cash the cheque the insurers have effectively bought your wrecked car & given you cash to buy a new one. The fact that the garage would give it back for free is strange. Check with the insurer if it's legit sell it for parts (only if it's Cat B, C or D) or weigh it in for scrap. I got about £130-150 at when I weighed in my dead 1999 Astra van in 2012.

midlife

Guru
Name in the log book is the keeper and not the owner. Call to the insurers me thinks :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom